Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Working with Geneva Oil Paints

jimbojimbo -
edited February 11 in Color Mixing
Novice speaking. As I mentioned in my introduction, I just returned to painting recently. Bought new supplies and started with W&N Winton oils. I always preferred Realism and Impressionism, so once I found Mark and his DMP method on YouTube I was hooked. 

Some context. I work in the basement of my townhome and there isn't good airflow with two windows side by side. I use an exhaust fan and it helps a lot. I also have two children, one has minor asthma, so it goes without saying that I want to stay away from solvents and things with a heavy odor. Clove oil not with standing scrutiny given its strong odor, at least it is non toxic.

Picking Geneva paints. Given the above considerations I choose to jump in and invest in these paints. They are wonderful. I love the consistency. Odor is pungent, but I don't smell anything that is stifling. My wife doesn't like the clove smell, but it is better than the smell from my home made SDM according to her.

Working with Geneva paints. Maybe it is just me being a novice and still learning to mix paint, but wow there is a difference in the amount of paint I need to shift a color. Examples, I was working on mixing a taupe-green and needed to kill a little bit of the green. I had a good sized puddle going and I added just the smallest dash of the Pyrole Rubine, it was just a bit on the corner of a #5 filbert. My taupe-green went to a red tone before I finished mixing it. I was also mixing a grayish-blue-purple at another point and added the slightest dash of yellow to bring the purpleness down. Same thing and I was being careful, the darn color went to a green almost instantly. 

Assessment. The pigment load is so high that my previous mixology with W&N, both Winton and Artists oils, does not apply. Be careful, the usual quantity you needed before using Geneva paints no longer applies. I spent a good hour-and-a-half testing when I was done preparing my value string. All the colors are powerful, but when mixing complimentary colors start with a really tiny portion of the compliment.

This might not be as big an issue for an experienced artist or seasoned DMP student, but I definitely noticed a difference. These paints are just great and awesome to mix with.
dencal

Comments