Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Laminate film thickness

anyone know what film thickness MC uses for photos? 

Comments

• I think MickDerby has said 3mm during his blog about his private lessons with Mark :)
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 27
    @Flatty ; Dan, part of this is from the Videos & Tutorials section: "If you laminate lots of prints often and don't mind dealing with another piece of hardware, the GBC Ultima 35 EZload Thermal Roll Laminator works well and can laminate prints up to 12 inches wide. It costs about USD$430. When you buy rolls of laminate for the laminator, be sure to get the 1.7mil sheets (the thinnest available)."  They are sold on Amazon in 12' rolls.  If the photos are glossy and the lamination is crystal clear, they look identical to unlaminated photos according to Mark.  And, he says, that it is easy to wipe the paint off.

If I recall anything else, I'll add to this post.  Summer
    some
  • FWIW, I found if i dont wipe too hard, or too much, spraying fixative heavy on my picture is ok . Retards the damage i suppose. Not springing for the laminator just yet.
  • Folks

Common sizes are 1.5 mil, 3 mil, 5 mil, 7 mil and 10 mil. A mil is 1/1000 of an inch NOT a millimetre (mm).
    If back and front is laminated, double these thicknesses.
    The thicker sizes are used for ID cards and menus.

Denis

• I found a local teacher supply store that laminates up to the max they can do for $1.
    Flatty
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    I pay $4.00 per sheet.,only 3mil. Pretty sure I'm going to purchase one so for one I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper and two I can use the 1.7 mil
  • I was thinking today that the laminate must be less than 3 mil bcs you can't feel the difference between it and a thick photo. I think @Summer is right and I will check with Mark and post it on my blog tomorrow
  • I suspect thinner is better for clarity.

I get two copies printed.  One gets laminated, the other can be used to check if the laminate is distorting...
    FlattyEstherH
  • Here in the UK film thickness is measured in microns instead!
  • dencaldencal -
    edited January 29
    Folks

'Til now I routinely had my A2 pastel life drawings laminated at a large store called OfficeWorks for about $7.50 each. This can become expensive as I might do three in a studio session and want to keep one.

I now use contact film, as used to cover books for school and libraries. A 450mm x 15 m roll costs $4.45.
    this brings the cost down to around 18c, or 36c if I want to cover back and front.

Surface gloss varies between brands. Application is easy, no machinery other than an old credit card to smooth out any air bubbles as the backing is progressively removed.

My tests also show that the surface is impervious to oil paint. So I will also be using contact film to laminate printed photos for painting.

Denis