Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Getting to abstraction with DMP

Here’s a question I have been mulling over. If I follow the DMP process very closely, and don’t blend until the end, it seems I will not arrive at the kind of “messy” brush strokes that I want.

For example, in Mark’s video highlighting Karen Offutt’s work, he talks about abstraction and its importance to the look of the painting. It doesn’t seem like I can get there from DMP.

Here's a portion of a painting I did following DMP. It doesn't have the brush stroke quality I want. It looks a bit "paint by numbers" to me.

Here's an example of one of Offutt's paintings

Beautiful. But I don't know how I would get this kind of result following DMP strictly. I must be missing something simple!

Any thoughts? Thanks

Don

Comments

• Artist Curse Gremlins at play, I'm sure of it! Certainly does not look "paint by numbers". The brush strokes you want will develop.
  • From what I have learned about DMP so far, my first reaction (for whatever it's worth, if it were me) was that for each color the steps are too far apart. 
  • @ddelashaw ..By the way, you are doing awesome in my opinion.... Something that clicked with me as I was rambling through the internet, and why my paintings were always missing something: see this guy at about the 6:50 mark. Maybe it will help, maybe not, but i hope so. I am forever fighting myself about not using enough paint.
  • Thanks @NanaBean the Curse is strong in this one  :) 
    @ph1 yep, I struggle with that. 
    @some you meant to share a link? I like your observation. 
  • @mark_Carder thanks a million - just what I needed to hear!
  • forgot to put the link in!! LOL Mark covered much of it in the previous post. Use More paint, and lock the engineer out of the room! :)
  • Before I read MC's comment I was going to remind you that the DMP method was to teach how to learn to paint. But I don't have to now do I? Mark said it all.
  • I hope you post the next version of this after receiving all this senior advice – I’m curious to see what it means.  I think they are saying be more painterly, but I’m a novice and out of my depth on this thread – still trying to square realism and painterly.
  • @ph1 see my thread on the bridal bouquet, that's where I will apply this very valuable guidance

Don
  • Thanks for the referral to the thread.  I will watch with great interest.  What a project. 
  • Mark does a private Sargent painting course where you copy one of Sargent's paintings, so I'd say that means you can paint in this looser style with Mark's method :)
    ddelashaw
  • If I read this question before seeing all the responses I would have reminded @ddelshaw that DMP is where you learn to draw mix paint and paint (realism). The painterly style comes after you've done several works following the method precisely. That's when you start to build on your new-found confidence and skills and experiment. I did it the other way around and never found satisfaction in my art. I wrote this not so much for Mr. Delshaw but for the others that follow the forum that are impatient and are quick to get frustrated like myself.
    ForgivenessErika_wakirestudio
  • I've had this same question so I'm glad you've asked it. I figured I'd keep focusing on DMP skills and see what happens eventually. I'm glad to see Mark's response. Very helpful. 
    ForgivenessBOB73