Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

alternative for cadmium yellow pale?

Hello to everyone, I just wanted to ask which yellow is closer to the pale one? I was wondering if cad yellow medium is a good replacement. Thanks :)

Comments

• Τhank you Summer, very kind of you.
  • Is cad yellow pale the same as cad yellow light?
  • ddelashaw said:
    Is cad yellow pale the same as cad yellow light?
    I am not sure yet and I cannot find cad yellow pale in Greece from manufacturers other than winsor and newton. That's why I asked this question.
  • I use cad yellow medium from daler Rowney. Serves my purpose. I think anything amongst cad yellow pale, light or medium will do the work. Don't use cad yellow deep or lemon as a single yellow as they have color bias towards either red or blue.
    michalis
  • Finding a good yellow is not a problem. Main problem lies in red. Alizarine is a great mixer. But it doesn't work when you need bright oranges. 
    michalis
  • Thanks for your help Kaustav, I am really frustrated with the Greek artist e-shops....I can find only the w&n ''winton'' series which I do not like (very low quality) and after that they sell series 5 which cost 20 euros per tube. I cannot afford that prices. Series 1,2,3 are absent or they don't have all the colours I need. I then went to van gogh paints series 2 but they do not have french ultramarine.....uuuuffff, what a mess
  • If you can order several tubes of colours it might be worth buying from a different country in the EU and paying the shipping costs if you can get a cadmium from a cheaper brand. :/
    michalis
  • As Richard says, jacksons.co.uk will deliver to Greece, and they have a very large range. I often buy from them even though there are local suppliers because the locals don't always do the specific brands I am interested in. Worth getting together a larger order rather than one thing at a time though to save on postage costs. There are no doubt suppliers elsewhere in the EU as well, eg what about www.zecchi.it

An excellent 'primary' yellow is Benzimadazalone yellow, but although W&N do it in watercolours (winsor yellow) they don't in oils. In fact, only Blockx do it (Blockx Primary Yellow). Many people use Hansa Yellow Light (PY3), although it isn't as strongly tinting as Cad Yellow Pale so you need more of it. Other good pigments are Isoindolinone yellow (PY110) and the Arylides and Diarylides(eg PY65, PY74), although these are not as light-valued as Cadmium Yellow Pale. Winsor Yellow is PY74.

One advantage of using one of the organics instead of cadmiums (or cobalts) is that they are cheaper, so you can either save some money, or spend the same amount but go from the W&N artist grade up to one of the premium brands (Vasari, Old Holland, Blockx, Michael Harding, Williamsburg, Schmincke Mussini, Maimeri Puro). Michael Harding, in particular, is often very well priced for a premium grade oil, and noticeably higher pigment load than W&N. His Bright Yellow Lake is PY3. 

In 'student' ranges, where they leave out the cadmiums to make the prices lower and equal across the range, PY3 is often used (perhaps in mixture) to make a 'cadmium yellow hue' ('hue' just means 'substitute', which Old Holland calls 'Extra' for some reason).
    michalissome
  • Richard_P said:
    If you can order several tubes of colours it might be worth buying from a different country in the EU and paying the shipping costs if you can get a cadmium from a cheaper brand. :/
    Ι tried this also but Greece have still problems with capital controls, paypal, etc.....plus most of companies do not ship to Greece. I am tired...LOL!

• edited January 19
    I was going to mention Jacksons! :)

Rest of World (Popular)250g500g1000g1500g2000gFine Art Brush Only Order Over £20

Greece£4£4.50£7£10£12FREE
    michalisKaustav
  • AlunapR - Thanks for all the informations you gave me, you are very kind, I will check out jacksons.co.uk
  • You will find another problem.. so many brands to choose from!! :D
  • Richard_P -  LOL! I was thinking the same when I visited the site some minutes ago....
  • ;)

It's probably the main artist suppliers in the UK, at least in terms of the range.

Good luck!
    michalis
  • michalis said:
    Thanks for your help Kaustav, I am really frustrated with the Greek artist e-shops....I can find only the w&n ''winton'' series which I do not like (very low quality) and after that they sell series 5 which cost 20 euros per tube. I cannot afford that prices. Series 1,2,3 are absent or they don't have all the colours I need. I then went to van gogh paints series 2 but they do not have french ultramarine.....uuuuffff, what a mess
    Do you have a domestic Greek company that produces oil paint? If yes, then buying from them will reduce the costs significantly esp. for practice purpose oil paintings. You can paint with international brands when you will be selling stuff.
    michalis
  •  Kaustav - Unfortunately there is no Greek company that produce oil paints, the closest are Italians but the cost is similar to other EU countries...I' ll keep searching, thanks :)