Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Staining the canvas and palettes with grey

Hi, why not stain the canvas (and palettes) with a neutral medium grey tone. Photographers use a graycard to evaluate light and color balance
Kaustav

Comments

• Fernando

Yep. Grey works fine. Black even better.

Denis

• You can.

Neutral is the key, not necessarily the color.

some
  • I think for shadow box style paintings black would work fine. I'm not sure how well it would work for a very light painting as you might not be able to cover the black in one layer of some colours sufficiently.
    Flatty
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 12
    Some artists use lighter tints, shades, and tones on canvasses and palettes--depending upon the subject matter.  Given enough time, say decades, you may even try both extremes at one time or another. 
  • Only thing why Mark would have chosen Burn Umber because of quick drying factor. Whereas black takes a long time to dry.
    If you have a quick drying grey then it is OK as most of the time the physical mixture or optical mixture on palette tends to go towards blue grey.
  • Thank you for your replies. I like to mix white with 2/3 Ivory Black and 1/3 Umber. The umber accelerates the slow drying of the Ivory and the titanium and at the same time gives a pleasant slighly warm gray.
    Kaustav
  • Thank you for your replies. I like to mix white with 2/3 Ivory Black and 1/3 Umber. The umber accelerates the slow drying of the Ivory and the titanium and at the same time gives a pleasant slighly warm gray.
    Great! Only important thing is you must wait for the canvas to be totally dry. You can even place it under the sun so that it dries quickly. I do not add white oil paint into burnt umber any longer [no quick drying white available]. I paint the canvas with a student burnt umber and turps and then spread the paint further with a cloth. It dries a little quickly.
  • For 30 or more years, I've used a mix roughly half/half of raw umber and ultramarine blue, then wipe it down with a paper towel until I achieve a middle gray.   I usually do several canvases at once and set them aside.  They usually dry overnight, and are sitting there, waiting to be used.
    Terance
  • You could also use water mixable oils with raw umber and ultramarine blue and add enough water that you can do a very thin wash which would dry quickly and wouldn't waste any paint 
  • Kaustav, there is indeed a fast drying white paint: Flake White. It is true that it is not available anymore ( at least to me) so I decided to make my own. Make a search on you tube there are at least 2 clips with step by step instructions, I haven´t try it yet but I will
  • Be careful! Flake White is white lead which can be highly toxic if you are making it on your own!!
    Summer
  • Richard_P said:
    Be careful! Flake White is white lead which can be highly toxic if you are making it on your own!!
    Good that you wanna produce it. But be careful with lead white though. There is an issue with flake dust which must not enter anywhere in the house, food etc. Always wear masks. Flake white is available with Rublev, Vasari and many other higher end brands. If you can access those then I think it is better that way. I hope you understand what I mean.
  • Lead white (Cremnitz) is available from several sources in the US.  Check online suppliers such ad Dick Blick.   I get mine in 150 ml tubes (several at a time) from https://rghartistsoilpaint.com/

• Thank you all for for alerting me about the toxicity of lead powder, I´m fully aware of that problem. As a photographer with 40 years experience I have a good experience dealling with (very) toxic products.

• Holbein also has a ceramic white, but I've not heard too much about it:

CERAMIC WHITE - A new painting white developed by a joint research projectof the Holbein Works Ltd. laboratory and the Japanese government. Ceramic white was developed to combine the most positive qualities of other painting whites when taken collectively. It contains non-toxic titanium and strontium pigment which will not react with sulphur. Offers superior surface strength without brittleness, increases tinting and covering power over lead and zinc. When compared to titanium white, increases transparency, drying time and visual whiteness, as well as excellent handling qualities.
    Kaustav
  • Sounds like the holly graal

• Someone mentioned that they use a gray outdoor, acrylic latex paint to stain their canvases. It drys overnight. I've been thinking of trying that.
  • Someone mentioned that they use a gray outdoor, acrylic latex paint to stain their canvases. It drys overnight. I've been thinking of trying that.
    I feel that it is better to stay with oil paint and proven resources rather than moving to other things. I am already doing much damage to my best paintings with acrylic primed canvases. But here I don't have much choice. Oil primed canvas is amazingly expensive here and presently I cannot prepare my canvases/boards etc. due to medical conditions in the house etc. But I can reduce the risk of producing a weak paint film as far as I can by using only proven resources.
    ArtistMartin1
  • If your canvas is black you may have difficulties seeing certain paints that are not opaque.
    KaustavFlatty
  • edited April 21
    Ken Auster toned his panels with medium gray. I took two of his workshops. He certainly knew how to paint.