Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

'5 parts Venice Turpentine' on the Slow-Dry Medium Recipe

I've purchased Venice Turpentine, the 1.08 oz jar / Sennelier and find on the bottle the suggestion that one dilutes the thick honey like ingredient with 20% turpentine.
The recipe calls for  '5 parts Venice turpentine'.  Does that mean of the diluted or of the bottled honey?
Anyone out there who can help me assimilate the information ?

My intention is to create about 12 oz of SDM
so I've figured that each part noted in the recipe will equal about  1/2 oz..
If I'm right, and depending on whether the venice turpentine is diluted:
we need either 2.5 oz of the honey or, if diluted 2oz with .5oz of turpentine?
That seems to be a lot of honey :-) ?

I am also assuming that the 'turpentine' can be substituted with an odorless alternative?

Any insights - education is much appreciated.

Albert

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited December 2016
    Albert

Welcome to the DMP Forum.

The recipe means five parts undiluted VT. Warm the jar in hot water so that it flows more easily.

The best way to calculate the amount of SDM you can make is to decide which of the ingredients you have available is the smallest in fluid quantity and build from there.
    Or to put it another way buy as much as you can afford of the most expensive item, usually VT and build the formula from there. I mixed about two pints and it has lasted me a couple of years.

Yes use an odorless alternative!

You will be able to make 4.97 US Ounces starting with 1.08 oz of VT.

In detail; 2.16 oz OMS, 1.08 oz stand oil, 1.08 oz Venice turps (larch resin), 0.43 oz oil of cloves and 0.22 oz of refined linseed oil. This will make 4.97 US oz.

If you still want to make 12 oz then;
    5.25 oz OMS, 2.63 oz stand oil, 2.63 oz Venice turps (larch resin). 1.05 oz oil of cloves and 0.53 oz refined linseed oil will make 12.08 US oz.

Denis

• Hi,  I have 10 tubes of paint I want to pre mix with the SDM.  How much  of the SDM recipe should I make?  
    Thanks
  • Actually what effect does the resin used (Venice Turpentine) have in the Slow Dry Medium? You already have the thick stand oil in there, so what does the resin do? :)
    Forgiveness
  • Could I use one of these mediums to premix my paints and keep in glass jars?  Any advice is appreciated. I am such a rookie!

Thanks Again.  

Galkyd Lite — Formulated to thin oil colors and maintain strong flexible paint films, with a viscosity similar to that of a traditional dammar/refined linseed oil/turpentine painting medium. It will leave brush strokes in thicker layers and allow a longer working time (approximately three hours). Glazes are slightly less glossy than those made with traditional mediums or Galkyd.

Galkyd Medium #1 — An alkyd resin painting medium that increases the fluidity of oil colors and speeds their drying time (thin layers will dry within 24 hours). Its viscosity is similar to traditional painting mediums made from linseed stand oil. It levels brush strokes, creates a strong flexible paint film, and leaves an enamel-like glossy finish.

Galkyd Slow Drying — Formulated for strength and flexibility, and to keep the surface of oil paintings open for approximately three days — a good choice for painters who blend or work wet into wet..

• bmw

Premixed paint with medium or with no medium will keep for weeks or months in small, airtight glass jars.
    Only when exposed to oxygen in the open will the paint start to cross link and polymerise. Straight from the tube Umbers are touch dry in a day or two. Blue and white around five days depending on temp and humidity. Cadmiums and Crimson takes longer than five days.

Mark's slow dry medium at least doubles these times.

Geneva not available in Australia yet, unable to advise on storage or open times.

Difficult to see what the benefits are for the mediums you describe above (Gamblin?). The three of them seem to accelerate drying times. Alkyds are designed to do just this.

Denis

• Thanks Denis, I appreciate the info.  
    Bonnie
  • I have all of my ingredients to make the SDM.  Should I use something that measures in ounces or grams and  how do I measure to the exact amount needed? .Ex.  4.32 OSM.  Thanks
  • dencaldencal -
    edited March 2017
    Bonnie

I suggest you measure in millilitres.

10 OMS 400 mls
    5 SO 200 mls
    5 VT 200 mls
    2 CO 80 mls
    1 LO 40 mls

This will make 920 mls of SDM.

The recipe varies for Titanium white as Mark advises below.

medium recipes

There are currently no mediums on the market that slow the drying rate of oil paint adequately, so you will need to make it yourself.

recipe for slow-dry medium (for all colors except titanium white):

• 10 parts odorless mineral spirits (any artist-grade odorless mineral spirits will do)
    • 5 parts stand oil or linseed stand oil (this is viscous like honey and is not the same as refined linseed oil)
    • 1 part refined linseed oil
    • 5 parts Venice turpentine *
    • 2 parts oil of cloves †

For burnt umber, you will need extra clove oil. Please watch this video for instructions on how to incorporate the extra clove oil into burnt umber: youtu.be/lpU9egKu-kM

recipe for slow-dry medium for titanium white:

• 10 parts odorless mineral spirits
    • 1 part stand oil or linseed stand oil
    • 5 parts refined linseed oil
    • 5 parts Venice turpentine *

Venice turpentine is not at all the same as what is commonly known as "turpentine", a solvent commonly used by artists many years ago (and still used by some artists today). Venice turpentine, on the other hand, is simply tree sap — a thick resin which is thick like honey.

† Oil of cloves is sold as "clove leaf oil", "clove bud oil", or simply "clove oil" — any of these forms is fine. You may try looking for it in drug stores, health food stores, or from an online supplier.

Here is a video tutorial on mixing paint with medium: youtu.be/lpU9egKu-kM

Denis

• Hello :). I was able to purchase imitation venice turpentine but havent found the real thing.  Is the imitation turpentine appropriate in the SDM recipe?  Thanks in advance!
  • CindyJ

Welcome to you.

Mark says Shiva VT works OK.

Denis

• @dencal
    Denis,

I just want to clarify, do you mean to say that Mark Carder says Shiva Imitation Venice Turpentine is ok? Or should we only use genuine Venice Turpentine?

I am ordering right now and wondering about purchasing Shiva.

Thank you!
  • Renoir

The supply list did describe Shiva as being an acceptable VT. However, the text was changed when the new Geneva Paint was made available, so I can’t paste a quote for you.

Denis

• Yes Imitation VT is OK Mark Said he was using Shiva brand imitation VT in a video. I checked twice before ordering it myself from Jerrys Artarama.