Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How to paint a skin colored leg( which contains mostly orange ) immersed in water

Hi all,
how to paint a leg immersed in blue water where we are able to see skin color also plus the blue water also( as orange and blue are complementary they will mix to become neutral).can it be created using DMP technique or it needs to be done with techniques like glazing or something else.

Comments

• FlattyFlatty admin
    DMP can match any color, mark has a video demonstrating how to match any color with Geneva paint. This can be applied with almost any paint. Pay close attention to how describes and demonstrates "work flow" if you can get a handle on that process then nothing will prevent you from matching a color. Take your time matching your color. Even if feels like it's taking forever:-) do it properly and the speed will come . Looking forward to seeing your next painting:-)
  • edited December 2016
    I totally agree with you @Flatty ,but I get stuck when I try to paint something like this.(I still cannot figure out what colour is her hand,means it does look like blueish skin color but how to mix it because they make brown) any suggestions about how to mix it?

Image result for leg immersed in water
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    It's all about the work flow. Hard for me to judge that color from here. 
    Perhaps you should go the video page and review the mixing color video. I know it's frustrating believe me! I'm still in early learning and certain colors kill me to match. But by asking myself the six question and paying attention to the work flow I manage to get it done. On occasion I have to dump my pile and start again after making a muddy mess but it DOES get easier 
    rautchetan
  • Great demonstration of how what we think we know interferes with true perception! We think skin is pinkish and so we don't see that in this colour environment it's a blue green as in this demonstration.

Again, great demo.
    rautchetandavidwwilsonEstherH
  • Thank you so much @Alan for debunking my perception that the skin will look orangish blue or something like that in water.Here if we see the picture posted by you,the actual arm colors are nowhere close to orange and yes @tassieguy it perfectly demonstrates that how we are unable to accept what we see because of what we have already taught.It is really hard to accept that hand is actually on the blue or greenish blue side when I just look at the picture and dont go for DMP procedure.
    EstherH
  • @davidwwilson ...I totally agree with you.I get confused when I am not sure whether I have to change the color by adding other color or it just needs to be toned down(by adding complement).I have seen marks's color mixing videos plenty times,still I get confused in figuring it out
  • rautchetan

Take out your paint and create a color wheel... Primary Secondary and Tertiary ... Tints and tones of each and then the complementaries. Banish confusion forever.

Denis

rautchetan
  • hi @dencal ,have already painted one such canvas board of color wheel and I refer to it while painting.but sometimes I feel why people discourage adding black to a color to darken it and promote adding complementary color to create tones.....I know adding black with yellow will create green,but for other colors (specifically colors biased towards red) it really produces amazing depth in color
  • rautchetan

Yes black works well sometimes but the overall effect drains the life out of values. With Mark' s chromatic black ( 60% FUB and 40% BU or variations thereof), or a complementary you can with more certainty control the temperature of the value. A lamp black or ivory black in a value tends to look flat and shallow to my eye. We are all a bunch of prejudices, preferences and predilections this is mine.

Denis

rautchetan
  • @dencal thank you so much for your views.....I am still learning and will try to see the affect of complementary colors on the value temperature.
    EstherHdencal