Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Pretty disappointed in the Portrait Course!

So for $100 usd which is close to $140 canadian for me I got 3 videos with 1hour 45 minutes of instruction. The rest of the time I spent watching silent videos with 0 communication about thought process or any other type of actual painting instruction.  The gaps in the 105min of instruction have left me to guess and try and sort through his other videos to find the info I need on my own!

I don't know what his other 2 courses are like but I would not and will not recommend the portrait course to anyone! I had originally thought about buying all 3 courses but will pass on the last 2..

Comments

• Well that's a first.

As much as I like Mark's voice, and appreciate his wisdom, he didnt need to say anything in my opinion.  It's all there.

The first time I took the online course I listened to every word.  The second time I was listening to Pink Floyd.

It's all there.

Watch it again...and then watch it again.
    Lisaberg
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    I watched my course several times through my first few paintings. I would urge you to give it another  look:-) 
    Lisaberg
  • I gained a lot of insight using all three courses, there were plenty of free classes and also short clips showing you what the videos would be like prior to purchase. I found the extra information in the paid videos has helped me develop new skills. 
    Flatty
  • I'm sure @tassieguy would do a great portrait based on his other work :)
    Lisab
  • edited December 2016
    That is soooo beautiful, EstherH! 

I'm looking forward to the course.
    Lisab
  • edited December 2016
    Go for it! @tassieguy, I love the way you paint and your portrait will turn out great, I know it....
  • @EstherH
    A stunningly gorgeous portrait. In every single way. 
    PLEASE post more of your work , Esther. 
    I wouldn't attempt a portrait at this stage. Enough problems with my horse !! 
    But you are a great advertisement for watching that video. 
    I hope that @Tigerscott will take heart from all these positive posts as I know he was disappointed initially. 

EstherH
  • Wonderful! A great advert for the portrait videos and for Mark's teachings :)
    EstherH
  • EstherH

Is it going to be Portrait Princess as well as Queen of Green?

Beautiful work.

Denis

EstherH
  • ergerg -
    edited December 2016
    @tassieguy, I bought all Mark Carders videos, they are great. @EstherH she's beautiful!
    EstherHLisab
  • tassieguy - Would you consider painting a 'precedent portrait' fist- one in which you have the prerogative of 'blowing it', but in which you may discover that you're not likely half-bad at this as it is!?

Yeah, I guess I could try that, David. Thanks for the vote of confidence.  But I just don't know how to start. Having the video would ease me into it and show me a plan of attack.
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    @ph1 , please refrain from negative comments. Tigerscott needs help not insults. Thank you in abvance for  your cooperation!!! 

Tigerscott, keep painting:-)
    michalis
  • Sorry, but the posting seemed out of line. 
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    ph1 said:
    Sorry, but the posting seemed out of line. 
    I agree at face value it's harsh. Frustration can do that to a person . I feel a hand up is best in this situation . 
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    Tigerscott, my advice is to watch again sling some Paint. Watch again if you need to. Stay with it and you can succeed:-) 
    Chris_Crotty
  • Whoa Esther...that is amazing.

Ive never tried portraiture either...and I'm not so sure this makes me want to... Lol

So good.
    EstherH
  • edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have the portrait video and I think it's great.
    @EstherH you're amazing.
    @tassieguy I can't wait for you to work on a portrait.  
    Flatty
  • @EstherH , you have a gift.  So glad you are back.  @Tigerscott, i must have watched the various parts of the portrait video 5 times now.  My only complaint is that there is not more time spent mixing the various colors, especially the lips, with which i still struggle.  I also prefer the continuous dialogue but the content is still priceless.
  • Tigerscott - Apologies for my remark - I was out-of-line.  Hang in there and keep at it.  I am a beginner with a high regard for Mark and his teaching skills.  He makes it look so easy, but for me it's not. Still, even though it's frustrating at times, I am really enjoying it.  In my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine work at the levels I see here.  But that's ok - I'm enjoying my small 'wins' as they come. 
    michalisFlatty
  • Tigerscott you can do it, work hard and enjoy every moment of painting. No one was born an accomplished painter :)
    Chris_CrottyFlatty
  • edited December 2016
    I will watch the videos again and I have watched a lot of the videos on draw mix paint. I do not believe my thoughts or comments on my experience to be out of line. Mark is an amazing painter and his system has proven to work. My thoughts and feelings on the course are just that and not meant to do anything but give my honest opinion and first impression. 

I am approx 8 months into learning to oil paint and have been trying to learn from every source I can. I try to do professional works with proper technique using the rules that have been used for 100's of years. The Bob Ross comment isn't a slap in the face to me. He inspired millions including some of the best artists the world has to offer now. 

A small example of of what I meant in the comments are that in parts of the video Mark is using a stitch blend in some parts of the face where he cris cross's pulling paint from 2 colors before blending. I was confused to why he did this in certain areas and not in others.. Another example was when Mark started mixing his neutral colors for the face he begins with the darkest darks but the paint which he makes all his colors from is a lighter brown then the pile of Burnt Umber above.. How he got that color to start with for his neutrals, reds and greens all are based off that first mixture and seemed to be an important step.
    PaulB
  • ph1 said:
    Tigerscott  I'm sure there are places for your abilities, but appears they are not here.  Suggest you check Bob Ross. 
    This was flat out uncalled for..  I appreciate your apology but you don't know the first thing about me or my abilities.
  • You are correct, again my apologies. 
    Tigerscott
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    Tigerscott, I think ph1 and I run along  the same  plain, we love this forum and we love the man behind it. We can be quick to defend it. I think you can agree by my initial post that you were frustrated and not out of line . I truly feel that Ph1's apology was very sincere and I hope we can all get past it. Thank you for posting and I hope you can post some future work:-)
  • Flatty I am past it and said I appreciated his apology! I also liked his 2nd apology. I know people are also passionate about Mark and his system and what he has created with this website. I am a fan of his and the website. I in no way meant to hurt anything he's done here but if you feel my review / comments on the course I purchased are out of line feel free to remove it.
  • HankHank -
    edited December 2016
    @Tigerscott Hi I'm Hank; I'm a NAVY returned service man. I too am just learning to paint in oil and I am learning more every day. I haven't tried portraits yet however I am preparing my self for this transition. I am trying the DMP method however I still find it a little too advanced for me therefore, I found some comfort trying other methods before coming back to the DMP portrait method
    Hank
  • edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ergGamble_Nelkinmichalis
  • edited December 2016
    Hank said:
    @Tigerscott Hi I'm Hank; I'm a NAVY returned service man. I too am just learning to paint in oil and I am learning more every day. I haven't tried portraits yet however I am preparing my self for this transition. I am trying the DMP method however I still find it a little too advanced for me therefore, I found some comfort trying other methods before coming back to the DMP portrait method
    Hank
     Hi Hank:
     Never heard of DMP method assuming you mean Draw Mix Paint!.  I have done an Oil and Acrylic workshop locally and learned from a friend and student of Frank Covino. I have done one other online course and watch and read everything I can find on oil painting in a similar fashion to the style I like. One of the artists who I have really become fond of on Youtube is Michael James Smith.  The friend I mentioned has shown me how to work from a Grisaille and from Verdaccio under painting then to to use glazing over them. I tend to lean more toward realistic style paintings and find Draw Mix Paint similar to what I like to do. I also love to work from a limited palette so thought this course would be right up my ally.  I will watch the videos again a few more times and try some testing from what he teaches to try and get it down. Good to meet you hope we both can succeed at this!
    Tigerscott
  • Candora said:
    @Tigerscott What do you demand of a course that costs only 100 USD? I pay 3000 USD for private course with Mark Carder in Austin. I think the course that costs 100 USD is worth every penny. Very generous of Mark to sell the course for only 100 USD. My cost from Sweden-Austin about 8000 USD, course, fly, hotel, food e t c.
    I dunno guess I should have just said nothing at all! Lesson learned!
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    tassieguy said:
    I'm going to buy the portrait course. I've put off painting a portrait for long enough.
    Hey Tassieguy, I plan to purchase the portrait vid after the first. I have been  chicken to try
    Lisab
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    Tigerscott,  your were fine to post what did. No harm no foul. How else would you have known you have peeps behind you:-) 
  • Hey, Flatty, have you painted a portrait yet? If we both buy the portrait vid we can watch it then compare impressions and give each other courage to have a go at a portrait. Whaddaya say?
    First problem will be where to find a subject.
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    tassieguy said:
    Hey, Flatty, have you painted a portrait yet? If we both buy the portrait vid we can watch it then compare impressions and give each other courage to have a go at a portrait. Whaddaya say?
    Sorry about that! I missed this post! I hope to get it over the next couple weeks. If your offer is still good then I'm in. Sorry again for the delayed esponse
  • It's ok, Flatty. I bought the course but haven't had time to watch it yet - it's several hours long and with Christmas an all I just haven't got around to it. But I'll study it in early January and should be ready to go in late January. Let us know when you're ready. Maybe we can compare photos of our subjects and offer each other hints, advice etc.

Happy Christmas and all the best for 2017. :)

Rob
    Flatty
  • tassieguy said:
    Hey, Flatty, have you painted a portrait yet? If we both buy the portrait vid we can watch it then compare impressions and give each other courage to have a go at a portrait. Whaddaya say?
    You always have a Subject!  Self Portrait!