Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

A Landscape

This is my 10th DMP painting and my first landscape. It is 12 x 24 inches. I used Geneva paints plus phtalo green. I did not premix the paint, penciled in the silos, horizon lines and indications of the tree heights and shapes. I worked wet into wet and finished in one week, which is a record for me. I wanted to use the photo as a reference and not a training tool, so I edited a lot from the photo. I was really drawn to this scene because of the clouds and trees and the way the silos seem to reflect the sky. I really enjoyed painting this, would love to have your thoughts. Thanks!
Richard_PKaustavL.DuranRonLo83ElizatassieguyBoudiccaWIKENdencal[Deleted User]RonnamichalispaulzMark_Carder[Deleted User]Summerjswartzartkamlika

Comments

• Looks great! Love the way you've painted this.. :)
  • Great ... well done ... beautiful colors  and the light/shadows  are realy good ... I put this screen on my wall with joy
  • Excellent editing job. You kept just the right elements. That hint of red barn is a perfect foil to the blue silos and patches of sky. Congrats on number 10! Getting to 10 DMP works is my goal.
  • Nice painting.  I think you did a good job of editing, also. 
  • You should be proud. Well done.
  • Love the way you've done this, ZIM. It's sort of impressionistic but still very realistic. You certainly know what to include and what to leave out. I think your trees are gorgeous and the silos have a strong feeling of three dimensionality. Another lovely painting.
  • Ditto to all of the above. There's a lovely sense of calm, with the silos standing like silent sentinels.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments,  I really like to get all these different perspectives. When I look at the photo of the painting , it seems a little overexposed. It's difficult for me to take a photo that is true to the painting. Thanks again!!
  • The colours, shapes and tones are all really great. I like that you took out the power lines, but without the farmhouse to the left, and without the fence posts, it seems a bit off (like the two silos are just randomly in an empty field). There's still a house or barn on the right, so it's still a believable scene, but I think I would have left at least just the house. Just my 2 cents. Everything else (technique, colours, values, etc) is spot on.
  • JC_Pitre said:
    The colours, shapes and tones are all really great. I like that you took out the power lines, but without the farmhouse to the left, and without the fence posts, it seems a bit off (like the two silos are just randomly in an empty field). There's still a house or barn on the right, so it's still a believable scene, but I think I would have left at least just the house. Just my 2 cents. Everything else (technique, colours, values, etc) is spot on.
    Ha ha maybe it's cultural, in Australia you can be in the middle of absolutely nowhere and there will appear some kind of weird randomness, so to me it's totally believable, don't think @ZIM is in Oz though. 
  • Wow! Love it!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wow everybody, thanks for the comments. I thought the comments were finished so I haven't checked for a few days!!
     JC_Pitre:  I thought really hard about the second house and the fence but decided to leave them out. I like the open field and no,Boudicca, not in Oz!! Love to go sometime tho!
    I would like to do some more landscapes, I haven't gotten the silos off my mind yet.
    Thanks again everybody for the encouragement!
  • This is really very nice. I like the compositional choices you made.
  • davidwwilson: Thanks! I started painting in Jan.2014 using the DMP method and whatever I have achieved is due to Mark's instruction and help from the forum. It's a great place to learn.I  have never commented on your paintings because they are so far ahead of me, but I wanted you to know I am intrigued by your work. I don't understand it, but, the way you write about art , the things that prompt your ideas for paintings and the rich symbolism in your work are all expanding my understanding of creating something unique. I really look forward to your comments on everyone's work.!
    jmac51: thanks! Composition is something I'm really trying to work on right now.