Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

staining canvas

Could you use Acrylic to stain your canvas before painting with oils ?

Comments

• Many people do that but I think it is better to put a transparent thin cote and rub the coat with a cloth to make it more uniform (imprimatura) rather than a thicker one.
    Personally, I prefer to put a thin coat of paint with turps only (imprimatura) or turps+very small amount of linseed oil for oil painting (thicker and slow drying).
    cbor47
  • Kaustav said:
    Many people do that but I think it is better to put a transparent thin cote and rub the coat with a cloth to make it more uniform (imprimatura) rather than a thicker one.
    Personally, I prefer to put a thin coat of paint with turps only (imprimatura) or turps+very small amount of linseed oil for oil painting (thicker and slow drying).
    Thanks Kaustav...
    Kaustav
  • Yes you can.

Thanks
    NanaBean said:
    I do. Thanks Nanabean

• Kaustav said:
    Many people do that but I think it is better to put a transparent thin cote and rub the coat with a cloth to make it more uniform (imprimatura) rather than a thicker one.
    Ah! I have been staining with acrylic but there are ridges created from the brush stokes and I can see them in my paintings. I could rub the coat with a cloth like you suggest and I bet that would solve it. Thank you for the idea!
    Kaustav