Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

staining canvas

Could you use Acrylic to stain your canvas before painting with oils ?

Comments

• Many people do that but I think it is better to put a transparent thin cote and rub the coat with a cloth to make it more uniform (imprimatura) rather than a thicker one.
    Personally, I prefer to put a thin coat of paint with turps only (imprimatura) or turps+very small amount of linseed oil for oil painting (thicker and slow drying).
    cbor47
  • Kaustav said:
    Many people do that but I think it is better to put a transparent thin cote and rub the coat with a cloth to make it more uniform (imprimatura) rather than a thicker one.
    Personally, I prefer to put a thin coat of paint with turps only (imprimatura) or turps+very small amount of linseed oil for oil painting (thicker and slow drying).
    Thanks Kaustav...
    Kaustav
  • Yes you can.

Thanks
    NanaBean said:
    I do. Thanks Nanabean

• Kaustav said:
    Many people do that but I think it is better to put a transparent thin cote and rub the coat with a cloth to make it more uniform (imprimatura) rather than a thicker one.
    Ah! I have been staining with acrylic but there are ridges created from the brush stokes and I can see them in my paintings. I could rub the coat with a cloth like you suggest and I bet that would solve it. Thank you for the idea!
    Kaustav
  • cadiacadia -
    edited October 2
    Is there a down side to using water soluable oil paints to stain the canvas?

• SummerSummer -
    edited October 12
    @cbor47

Yes you can use acrylic to stain a canvas.   But, you have to know what was used in the primer before you decide.  This information is not always available.  So, you will have to choose an oil stain if you don't know what was used in the primer--just to be safe.  If you know acrylic was used in the primer than it is okay to use an acrylic or an oil stain if you like.  (The exception to this is if a primer/gesso is made specifically for both acrylic and oil paints.  You'd have to get this information from the manufacturer's website or label.)

Summer