Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Mahl Sticks and Paper Towel Holder

SummerSummer -
edited May 2016 in Studio & Supplies
As promised, but a few weeks late, here are a few tweaks to my studio that some of you may find helpful.  I can't take any credit for these because my husband designed and made them.  He said that if you have any questions, feel free to ask.   :)   Everything is working fine.  (I was using a walking cane hung over the canvas board for a mahl stick, but it kept falling off the canvas onto the glass palette and into the paint puddles.)   

1) Mahl Stick and Paper Towel Holder

2) Mahl Sticks 2 Optional Positions

3) Mahl Sticks Hardware

4) Custom Metal Towel Holder

RonnaKaustav

Comments

• Summer

Design suggestion. Instead of two fixed axis sticks, what about one stick attached to a short length of curtain track that runs on nylon bearings.

Denis

• SummerSummer -
    edited May 2016
    Denis  Thanks for your input.  My husband says that he will try and find a suitable track at one of our home improvement stores next week.  Should be interesting.  I will probably end up with several systems to choose from before we're through.  The cane I was using, hung over the canvas, kept falling off and onto the glass palettes and into the paint puddles.  What a mess to clean up.  :)
    marieb
  • If you want to be super detailed about this, have you considered those blue paper towels instead of white? ;)
    Summer
  • Richard_P said:
    If you want to be super detailed about this, have you considered those blue paper towels instead of white? ;)
    Thanks.  I use the VIVA white almost totally now.  I've tried the blue, and they work, but the color blue really disturbs me when I'm wiping the extra paint onto the towels.  I can only use white, grey, black, and mid-brown when wiping or cleaning up.  Don't know why.  I'm really happy with VIVA white.   :)     
  • Fantastic studio Summer. What are you using the box on the tripod for? Is it for brushes?
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 2016
    Ronna said:
    Fantastic studio Summer. What are you using the box on the tripod for? Is it for brushes?
    Very glad that you will be painting again.  The grey box with cover is a parallel palette which I'm going to begin using before too long.  I believe Kingston has one.  David Kassan is an artist and a member here and he designed the unit and has them for sale.  Here is the address: https://store.davidkassan.com/product/parallelpalette/  if you want to take a look.  The tripod I got from Amazon when it was on sale (AmazonBasics 70-Inch Pistol Grip).  I have to confess something here.  I have used tape to attach several paper towels to the front of the plastic cover of the parallel palette, and used it to wipe my brushes on while painting.  That was before my husband built the paper towel holder to the right.  So, I've discovered two uses for the vertical palette.  Money well spent.  Husband is working on two other mahlstick systems right now and if they work out, I will post them to this site.  Soooooo glad that you are feeling better.  Stay well.  Summer  :)   

Ronna
  • @Summer ; What a perfect and beautiful studio! I am sure that you are able to work in great peace in there without any big issues like glare/light problems etc. ... I see that you layed out colours for a new painting (very nice picture with the dark tree...)... wish I could be a fly and peek over your shoulder...

And by the way Summer, tell your husband, if he ever wants to see Switzerland, he is very welcome here... I have a few issues in my studio ;-) ...
    Summer
  • EstherH said:
    @Summer ; What a perfect and beautiful studio! I am sure that you are able to work in great peace in there without any big issues like glare/light problems etc. ... I see that you layed out colours for a new painting (very nice picture with the dark tree...)... wish I could be a fly and peek over your shoulder...

And by the way Summer, tell your husband, if he ever wants to see Switzerland, he is very welcome here... I have a few issues in my studio ;-) ...
    I thought you were making a pass until I read the last part of your sentence!  :o :p
    SummerBoudiccaEstherH
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for the positive remarks and the invitation to see Switzerland (If I bring my husband along).  He volunteers his skills in our neighborhood 2-3 days every week since his retirement a few years ago and I'm happy to say that he even finds time for me!  Good luck resolving the issues in your new studio space, I know that you moved this past year.  :)  Summer
    EstherHWhistler
  • I have old aluminum track that was used for vertical blinds. Similar to Dencal,s picture. I am working on an oak insert that slides across for a mahl stick.  I would appreciate input on a good length for the stick and if it should be top or bottom mounted.  My easel is from Mark,s plans.  I am thinking of having a stop on one side right since I'm right handed.   Thanks for any help.
    dencal
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 2016
    @Liz ; I'm just realizing how complicated this project can get.  We almost have to make and purchase a half dozen or so types before we really know what suits us.  I like your idea of re-purposing the aluminum track.  Good luck with that.  With your creative mind I'm sure you will figure something out.   :)  Summer 
  • Liz

The mahlstick should allow for two handed operation on the largest canvas you are likely to use, both width and length. My easel can accommodate 1.2 metres square, even though I have only had it maxed on two occasions that would guide my decision. Free running good bearings are essential as are stops on both ends.

The other suggestion here is to have a collapsible telescopic mahlstick with an adjustable hand rest.
    such as that available from Artristic.

Denis

• dencal said:
    ...have a collapsible telescopic mahlstick with an adjustable hand rest.
    such as that available from Artristic.

Denis
    That looks like a great mahlstick... and the fact that they note "*If you like to 'snack' as you paint 
    you could insert liquorice or cheese sticks inside" makes me want one even more LOL!
  • Thanks for the input everyone.     To think i was I was just looking for good easel plans!    That was the easy one.  I built a storage cube on wheels from an old set of drawers and scrap wood. Now working on the mahl support.  I miss painting.

I love the easel thank you Mark.  As it is, it's perfect, yet the design lends itself so well to additions and modifications.

I'll post my results....
  • The u channel worked very well. I made a small T  end on my oak stick and blocked the ends with wood. Wheels were not an option out of my shop but I think a stick that moved too easily would be counter productive.  I simply push up to release it and re position it.

I attached the u channel to a 2x4 with small angle irons.  The 2x4 is secured to my easel with a carriage bolt and wing nut through the upright 2x2's.  This because I no longer use the center piece to attach canvases.

THis easel with its adjustable heights, support and steadiness has made painting so much easier.
    dencalSummer