Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Painting without White

I am going to try an experiment of lightening a colour depending on its bias with a lightener of the same bias, using a yellow or magenta or cyan as the lightener instead of white. Has anyone else tried this method?

dencal

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited April 2016
    walko

No, but tried pushing my values this way on the palette a few times. The result was a lot of mud.
    There is great virtue in reducing white to a minimum. Nothing renders a flat, milky boring image like too much white.

Denis

GERARD61
  • Should be very interesting to see what you get, but I'm really only concerned with getting the color I want using white, brown, blue, yellow and red.  White only gives you chalky results if you miss your mark and use too much of it. 
    Bob_AhamFlatty
  • Terti.ary complement--what would that be? Could someone give an example using color names? 
    Thanks
  • I too am trying to reduce white use. If I use yellow and my tint goes yellowish, can I save it with purple? Or will that make mud?
    Thanks
  • What is a "tertiary complement"? Could someone give me an example using color names?
    Thanks
  • SummerSummer -
    edited November 2016
    @tyraD ; Pulled this graphic off the internet from Google Images.  Pick a tertiary color from this color chart, the ones with the smallest font, and move directly opposite from it to find its complement.  The tertiary colors are in the third level of color chart hierarchy.  Primary being first, secondary being second, and tertiary being third.   I think that the tertiary colors are especially beautiful.  Summer 

• SummerSummer -
    edited December 2016
    tyraD said:
    What is a "tertiary complement"? Could someone give me an example using color names?
    Thanks
    (Also indicated in above post.)  More specifically, choose the opposite colors of Vermilion, Amber, Chartreuse, Teal, Violet, and Magenta to get their complement.  :)