Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Richard's Blog

1171819202123»

Comments

• My point was that you're more likely to encounter people in the English countryside than in Australia. In fact people in an Australian landscape may look out of place. That didn't sound right either. It's a matter of choice.
  • Yeah, we've got lots of room down here. Which is part of the reason why so many people want to come here. :)
  • edited October 2
    Until I'm struck by inspiration for which one of my own photos or ones off friends to paint next I'm going to try another copy (in my own style as previously). This one will be a very different artist and also much more complicated. Probably the most complicated painting I've ever done, but a good time to try to stretch and improve I think.

One issue is that I'm going to be painting at the maximum size I can on my painting board (20" x 16") whilst the original is 3x larger horizontally and 3x larger vertically (so 9 times bigger in terms of the area). It will be hard to do all the details, but I'll have a go!

I don't have much space or a house big enough to do a bigger painting. :(

My first attempt at this didn't work out quite so well as I hoped. I sanded a dibond panel with various grades to try to maximise adhesion (sanded more than the previous one). I traced over all the parts of the image onto the graphite paper (which took a while), and then found to my dismay that large areas hadn't transferred properly and most were faint. This was despite pressing very hard with the pen. After more tests it seems that an oversanded surface can stop the graphite transferring.

So.. I've lightly sanded a second panel and have started the transfer again, this time with a lot of partial lifting up and checking the transfer. I'm also using blue carbon paper (Prussian blue - fact fans) which seems to transfer easier than graphite (not as well as carbon black paper though), but is a bit darker in value. It's going OK this time.

We will see how that goes!
  • Sounds good, @Richard_P.

Can you tell us which painting you'll be copying?  Maybe others could have a go at it, too. :)
  • Sorry Rob, I am going to see who guesses first when I post progress shots.. 
  • It's John Wayne. You're copying from a movie poster judging by the size? He's been gone 40 years and I'm glad somebody is bringing him back. "The most popular film actor of the 20th century, John Wayne, is once again in the top five on The Harris Poll's annual list of "America's Favorite Movie Stars," this year landing the fourth spot. More than 38 years after his death, Wayne is the only late actor in the top 10 and has never fallen out in over two decades".
  • Clint Eastwood, did you say?
  • Ok, the tracing of the median filtered image is done. I found the blue lines to bleed slightly when brushed. So I sprayed it with fixative before applying the gesso (which ironically made it bleed very slightly too). Then two layers of gesso, one horizontal and one vertical. Now to leave to completely dry for 3 days.

I don't think I'll use the blue carbon paper again, the graphite one is easier, just need to make sure it transfers properly. Perhaps more experimentation needed whilst the gesso is drying on what works and what doesn't for the transfer.
  • Richard_P said:
    Sorry Rob, I am going to see who guesses first when I post progress shots.. 

Will there be prizes?  :p 
  • Yes. You can win a caterpillar eating one of Bob's hats.. :)
  • That's alright, I've got caterpillars in the back yard making a silk hat for me. I once had a hat that did meet it's demise in just that way though. It was woven out of fresh palm fronds and never smoked to repel pests.
  • Over time I've developed the computer programme I wrote which I use to help me look at the photos I work from, and help paint them. Some parts have been added and removed, or no longer really used. Some parts are more experimental, and some parts are very useful. It might be getting a tad complex now though..

• I for one can vouch how the above helped me a huge amount, and still does to this day -you should seek a patent and sell it @Richard_P
  • edited October 5
    I agree with @alsart. The results you achieve are amazing and your invention, properly marketed, could turn out to be a little money spinner. What sort of GUI does it have, Richard? I mean, could anyone use it or would that require further development?
    Wish I could code. :)
  • What happened to the good ol' color checker?
  • Thanks all, it's very basic as it's only for me. I'm not going to try to sell it or anything like that. :)
  • I've had a busy weekend but managed to do some prep work.. Unfortunately I miscalculated the size of the painting board I use (due to a few millimetres of the slider mechanism getting in the way) for when I ordered the dibond panels. Not that bad though, I will use the maul stick I made for this one.

Had a bit of a headache today but mixed 6 colours for the first step. I always struggle to start a painting, it seems a lot of work and then I got all the normal self-doubts that come along with the artist's curse.

Hopefully will be able to start painting soon, will see how much free time I get..
  • Hang in there @Richard_P.  I envy people who seem to have more studio time than we do.  Summer
  • Agree with @Summer …  hang in there...