Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Richard's Blog

Comments

• Richard_P

looking good.

Denis

• Thank you Denis, David :)

I am enjoying the oil colours so far. Just have to be careful not to touch a part that's still wet, which I never had to worry about before!
  • Is it only the feel that made you not switch completely to WSO then? :)
  • Looking very promising, Richard.  Will you blend the areas of different value/colour or leave it to happen in the eye of the viewer?
  • edited May 2016
    Thank you @tassieguy

Yes, I will add in-between steps on the larger areas of colour and then blend with these. The smaller areas will just blend the edges a bit I think.
  • More progress. Added extra steps for the table top and blended the edges. Started work on the bluish background in the top right.

NanaBean
  • @davidwwilson I think you are flattering me! It's not that detailed, but I'm ok with that as I want the viewer to focus on the face rather than the background or the table. I'm also doing the light background in a thinner paint to suggest the blurred and rather insubstantial nature, whilst the thicker paint is on the girl. Not sure if it will work, but I will see.
  • What is the full palette that you use, and how do you mix with it Kingston?
  • I'm a bit surprised you are using quite so many paints in the yellow-red range. Is this because rather than using them for colour matching, you are just painting with a range of two paints to fit the mood you want to use?
  • She's starting to look really good, Richard. When you step back the different values/colours resolve into a coherent image. I look forward to watching this develop.

Cheers

Rob
  • Worked on the whites of the eyes (which are far from white!) and on the background area on the right. Too many steps, but slowly getting there!

• The background is done, although it was too many steps in too small an area for my skill level at the moment. So it's a bit wavery, wobbly and scratchy with the paint. I'll need to touch up some bits and add in a few small areas I missed at the end.. It is a blurred background though I suppose!  :/

I've tried to take this picture in better lighting and with a new and better camera app for my phone. I think it helps as it seems easier to get a sharp focused picture.

• Back to slightly thicker more liquid paint for the hair now - oh how I've missed you! ;)

Just out of interest do you prefer more liquid, or more stiff paints?
    dencal
  • Richard_P

looking good.

tend towards the more liquid end of the continuum but really depends on how much texture or detail I'm chasing. Generally speaking thinner darks and thicker lights.

Denis

• Thanks Denis :)

Any reason why you have thinner darks?
  • Richard_P

It is easier to obtain good coverage with thinner darks than with thin lights.
    Detail in shadow tends to be nuanced suggestions of muted tones, much easier to paint with a thin dark rather than a stand out, attention seeking, textured stroke.

Denis

• Ah I see, that makes sense!

Thank you.
  • Working on the hair. I feel like I'm learning a lot even though there are many mistakes.

• More progress. Really want to start adding more steps to the face now! :)

dencalRonna
  • I gave in and added more steps to the face (I still have a few of the darker steps to work on). It's getting there. Still need to do some corrections to the pupils afterwards and add a bit more detail at the end.

NanaBean
  • Looking good, Richard. When you step back and see it from a distance it looks amazing.
  • Thank you, I don't know about amazing, but it's at least a learning experience. :)
  • More progress.. starting to look more like a blurred photograph. Will need some colour tweaks in some areas and I'll try to add more of the detail when I've finished all the hair.

RonHop
  • Thanks David. It's too blurred at the moment, will try to add more of the detail afterwards. It's an experiment compared to my normal way of painting anyway! :)
  • I've spent a bit of time in the last few days working on the no-blend challenge. It's a nice change from working on this one painting so much.
  • Not had much time to work on this at the moment. I should have a lot more time towards the end of the month when I plan to try to fix the errors, add more detail and finish this painting.
  • I've taken a break from this painting, and just finished my entry for the no blend challenge. This was a small piece from an image I liked on Pixabay, painted on gessoed Hardboard:

RonHop
  • Before I get back to working on the portrait I want to try something a bit more abstract and experimental next. :)
  • I went to the Patchings art festival yesterday. It was really amazing to see all the different artists work, see some of them working live and chat to them directly. Made me feel like a proper artist! ;)

I also chatted to Rosemary of Rosemary & Co about brushes and bought some more Ivory brushes from her stand there.

Feel inspired after going to the festival. A lot to take in and absorb still I think.. :)
  • Started testing a new approach and so far very happy with it. I'm taking Kingston's advice and painting with larger brushes in a looser style. I'm also working from a photo I took personally which is important to me as I have more of a connection with the subject. I know the composition, lighting etc, aren't brilliant.. but it's my photo, unlike those on pixabay. I don't know why, but it's important to me.

I'll post a picture when it's finished. :)
  • Richard_P said:
    Started testing a new approach and so far very happy with it. I'm taking Kingston's advice and painting with larger brushes in a looser style. I'm also working from a photo I took personally which is important to me as I have more of a connection with the subject. I know the composition, lighting etc, aren't brilliant.. but it's my photo, unlike those on pixabay. I don't know why, but it's important to me.

I'll post a picture when it's finished. :)
    Yes Richard, I have been looking at reference photos and I feel like so many artistic decisions have already been made by the photographer- subject, lighting, composition etc that painting the photo just feels like copying someone else's work.
  • Thanks Boudicca, glad to see people understand too. :)

I've just finished my first painting in a new experimental style. I've posted it in a new thread, as I know some people won't see it here.
  • I've just posted a new thread about my second painting in more of a watercolour (and slightly abstract) style - 'The Old Church'

I'm busy this weekend with a different kind of painting (painting my mum's house). If I get time this weekend (or next week) I want to finish off this portrait of Alicia :)
  • Since I've seen other people here use and mention them I gave in a little and bought a few small linen panels. 1 x medium fine, clear primed. 1 x fine, clear primed, and 1 x medium, oil primed.

Now I just need to think of what to use them for!

Is this another artist curse?? Not being able to resist new materials.. :open_mouth:
    jatNanaBean

• Is this another artist curse?? Not being able to resist new materials.. :open_mouth:
    Yep. A curse for us, a blessing for the art materials industry.
  • Hi David,

Sounds like you've used materials from across the price range. What are your favourites?
  • I've tried one of the linen boards and I have to say it's really really nice. So after trying quite a few different surfaces I'd say this is my favourite so far. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • I'm back!

What did I miss?? :)
  • Richard_P - Well, there were lots of shootings and murders and a terrible truck incident in France. Um... where did you go? ;)
    Not france! 
    davidwwilson
  • Hey Richard, welcome back  :)
  • As I'm planning to do a lot more of these quicker paintings I've also been thinking about offering some of them for sale to recoup materials costs and any extra money would help. I've seen other one-day-painting artists sell them like this, although I won't be doing one per day!

I was planning on not charging that much as they are small, quick to do and I am still learning how to paint. However I've seen that Tim sold his boat painting for a lot less than people thought it should be charged for.. So now I'm not sure what kind of price range to think of for these paintings.

Penny German who I met at the art festivals charges £90 for her 8" x 8" daily paintings, which seems too much for me to aim for as I'm still a beginner compared to her.

https://pennygerman.com/product-category/daily-paintings/

Any thoughts? Feeling a bit lost!

Thanks,
    Richard
  • Richard

Penny has a nice collection of work and a growing following that builds through networking with her students, readers and show visitors. She has appealing subject matter, small format and a price to match.

My view is that a square inch formula helps with the anxiety of pricing, keeping it consistent and fair.
    However, the acid test is what will the market segment (you are targeting) bear as a price?

Think about Price, sure but also consider Product, Place of sale, and People who may purchase (the 4 Ps of marketing). You will have to become 'commercial' --- What sells? Fruit and flowers are safe.

What about a series of local scenes - Your local cafe, church, post office, tourist attractions etc.

Denis

Kaustav
  • Hi Denis,

Some good advice. Thank you! :)

I don't know about becoming 'commercial', I don't want to make this a full time career, just a hobby which recoups some costs, etc..

Not that I disagree with anything you said, I just don't want to turn into a 'factory line' kind of painter.. does that make sense?
  • Richard

OK recouping costs - is your time a cost?  Do you intend to gift your effort to the buyers?
    In Aussie dollars a good income for a full time painter would start at $80k, say $3k pa materials costs.
    Assuming you will cover the costs of a studio space, exhibition fees, insurance, taxes, transport, framing from other income.

Such a setup means selling one painting a week at $1600 each, in order to do that you would need to have at least twenty or thirty available for sale. These are 11x14 inch at $10.40 per inch.
    A commercial gallery will take 50% so selling one a week at $3200 would get the expected return.

I take the view that costs not recouped through sales is really a cost borne by your family.

As a hobby the hurdles are much lower, but it pays to be clear about budgets, costs and cash flow.

Denis

Kaustav
  • I wasn't thinking of anything close to that kind of figure. I would be happy and proud in just being able to sell a few paintings a year and make a couple of hundreds of pounds in that year.