Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

mixing colours on a glass palette

when mixing colors on a glass palette does it make a difference if the glass is heavier than 1/8" , due to the blue green hues in the glass and it's effect on the the colours on the palette ? Does the hue get stronger as the thickness of the glass get stronger ?

Comments

• SummerSummer -
    edited March 2016
    Welcome to the forum.   :)  

I have several thicknesses of palette glass and my thicker ones are more blue-green than the thinner ones, especially around the edges. When you are mixing your colors to paint a painting, I think it would be harder to mix them correctly on plain glass that is not stained no matter what the thickness or how blue-green they are. When I paint the backs and sides of the glass palettes as Mark recommends in his video tutorial (see below), I add just enough red-orange to the white and burnt umber mix to offset the blue-green of the glass palette and test it by holding it next to the stained canvas.  Yes, the mixes will be slightly different for each size glass you are painting, but not by much.  It doesn't matter because each mix is custom made for each palette (or series of palettes) if they are cut to the same thickness.  These are my experiences, anyway.  Hope this answers your questions.  :)  And, by the way, glass palettes will be for sale soon from the Geneva Fine Art Supplies store--already stained and backed with wood. 

Here is the link for staining your own glass palettes: 

•   Summer , thank you very much for the information . I'm still in the process of setting up my studio , getting ready for when I can afford to buy the GENEVA Paints . I just finished building a palette table , photo board ,and easel . Well I decided to change the design of the photo board , so I will be able to put the board it self on and off the stand because of my limited space in my studio , witch doubles as a music room (saxophone player) . Any way thanks again . 1mORETYNES / AKA Bubba T.
  • My, you have been busy Bubba T.--building your studio.  Still tweaking out mine for the past 10 months.  Love saxophone music--especially the alto sax.  The song "You Belong to the City" comes to mind, Glenn Frey solo.  Looking forward to your participation.   :)  
  • Yes I have been busy working to get my studio up and running . Either one has the money and not enough time , or the time and not enough money . I was lucky to have some wood and odds and ends around to work with . I play the tenor myself , I will be checking out Glenn Frey's "You Belong to the City" . Thank you for that . I mainly like to play jazz love ballads .

Bubba T.

• werbywerby -
    edited March 2016
      Summer , thank you very much for the information . I'm still in the process of setting up my studio , getting ready for when I can afford to buy the GENEVA Paints . I just finished building a palette table , photo board ,and easel . Well I decided to change the design of the photo board , so I will be able to put the board it self on and off the stand because of my limited space in my studio , witch doubles as a music room (saxophone player) . Any way thanks again . 1mORETYNES / AKA Bubba T.
    I play classical guitar myself and found a use for one of my music stands. I use it as as a palette table. It adjusts to every height and angle and a couple clips hold it in place. It even has a shelf when tilted up for brushes and whatever else.