Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

A colour mixing dilemma regarding saturation

edited January 2016 in Color Mixing
Doesn't it make sense to buy the most saturated 3 primary colours available? Because, you can always desaturate a colour by killing it with its compliment but you can't 'saturate' a colour, right? You can only go down the ladder with saturation, so how does it make sense by starting halfway down the ladder with quite an already desaturated tube of paint and thus, limit yourself to only the bottom half of the ladder?

Thanks

Comments

• If you are to paint realism, you will find that the mixtures needed for a painting are not as high in chroma as your eyes make them out to be. Those " Bottom Half of the Ladder " colors, have more than plenty chroma for anyone that wants to paint as close to life as possible. There will be times where you'll need the "Most Saturated" colors but it won't be that often. 

When I first discovered Mark's method the same question crossed my mind. As soon as I started making my own mixtures, the answer as to why Mark chose this palette became evident from an economical and a practical point of view.

SummermariebFlatty
  • Castillo said:
    There will be times where you'll need the "Most Saturated" colors but it won't be that often. 

And when you do, just buy that extra color for that particular situation.  I find that it is more economical that way.  And I've heard this idea expressed many times on this forum.  :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] admin
    edited January 2016
    Mark actually addresses this about 35 minutes into this video: youtu.be/X8WA2sAQ3IM
    Summer
  • Thank you my above friends for your replies.