Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Very thin lines

billjbillj -
edited December 2015 in Technical Support
I cut down some brushes to make thin lines. I get the lines alright, but it's very time consuming and I can't load much paint at a time. 
Thought you guys might know of a brush or better way of doing it.  Sometimes I can  scratch lines in with a needle point on something, but they are only white.Thanks 

Comments

• Billj

rigger brushes or script liners can be heavily loaded and delivers a thin line for a long time.
    i have posted a video on these several times. 

Here is a link;

See the videos I posted on May 13.

Denis

• SummerSummer -
    edited December 2015
    I've read that if you apply paint with a rigger or script liner over a thin line of turpentine that has been applied first, that the painted line actually gets thinner as the turp dries.  I'd worry that the turp would just absorb into the structure that you are painting on.  You are probably not using turpentine as it is not necessary with Geneva paints   Or, maybe if you used this technique just for lines?    I'd be interested to know if this idea will work with other substances, like OMS.  Just thinking.  I will be experimenting with this idea in the future but I think that it would work best over dried glazed surfaces of under paintings.  Until then, I think that we only have the rigger and script liner.   :)
  • Summer

Riggers work well on a light coat of SDM.

Denis

KingstonSummermarieb
  • You can Try a pin striping brush. Used for lettering and pin striping on cars. Viscosity of paint is the trick for any thin line painting.
    Summer
  • dencal said:
    Summer

Riggers work well on a light coat of SDM.

Thanks.  I will give it a try and definitely make it a part of my regular painting routine if I can get it to work for me.   :)   Summer
  • Kingston said:
    You can Try a pin striping brush. Used for lettering and pin striping on cars. Viscosity of paint is the trick for any thin line painting.
    I just looked.  Lots of those on Amazon.  Another good idea.  :)
  • Thanks guys,
    If you need help sharpening knifes or  chisels or selecting the right wood for a sculpture, let me know, it would be my pleasure.  :) ;) B)
  • Depending on the situation I will sometimes use translucent tape but it takes a little planning.
  • edited January 2016

For thin lines I do a first pass as carefully as possible, then refine the line further, if necessary, by using a flat and painting the color next to the line wet into/along the length of the line, if that makes any sense.  Its like sculpting the line back with the adjacent color.

P.S. I haven't watched it yet, but judging from the comments, Mark might have done this in his most recent demo video.

Summer
  • Thanks guys, I'll check it out. I bought a couple of liners and if I take my time they seem to be working.