Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Vineyard Solstice Sunset

Hey there! This painting is 29" H x 48" W; the largest I've attempted so far.

It's based on a photo I took on June 21 last year when the beach was transformed for just a few minutes by the most incredible warm pink sunset lighting (although I've purposely exaggerated the values and color to emphasize that effect). 

I've been working on the canvas for about three weeks and I can no longer see it objectively. So, I'd like your professional opinion. . . I'm wondering whether I should let it dry, and later, adjust the clouds and beach sand by scumbling in a new lighter layer of white and light yellow? Or, should I just stop now and maintain the dramatic dark clouds and their cast shadows?

I look forward to your suggestions!

RonSummerdencalwildcory1AlbertoMikeOEstherHwerbyEliza[Deleted User][Deleted User]edwardbilljMark_Carder[Deleted User]walko

Comments

• edited December 2015
    The sky is amazing! I love it. As for giving you feedback and this is my own subjective feedback but I think a little atmospheric perspective could really push distance. Its kind of tricky because it looks like your darkest dark in the distance is from the cloud cast shadow.I attached a quick example of how it would look if you lightened the values in the distance to create separation between your foreground and background. I also tossed a little of the warm sky color into the distance to create some harmony. Typically your color temperature cools in the distance so your yellows will be one of the first to drop off. Great Work! 
    Also checkout scott christensen's work. You can see how he really pushes that atmospheric perspective.  
    Leo2015
  • Wonderful landscape. Amazing work on the grass !
    mlr4948Eliza
  • I love it! You have a very interesting style. I like the exaggerated colors and all the movement in this painting!

If I am not sure about a painting, I first change the colors in Photoshop. If I like the new version better, I let the surface of the painting dry a couple of days, then I put a sheet of thicker plastic on top (p.e. the sheets earlier used for overhead projectors) and I paint on this sheet quickly with new colors/different brush strokes etc. . Then I take it away / put it back on to see the difference and decide whether I should change it permanently or not...

Eliza[Deleted User]Ron
  • edited December 2015
    EstherH said:

....If I am not sure about a painting, I first change the colors in Photoshop. If I like the new version better, I let the surface of the painting dry a couple of days, then I put a sheet of thicker plastic on top (p.e. the sheets earlier used for overhead projectors) and I paint on this sheet quickly with new colors/different brush strokes etc. 

This is a great idea and good advice . . . just what I was hoping for. Thank you, @EstherH!
  • wildcory1 said:
    The sky is amazing! I love it. As for giving you feedback and this is my own subjective feedback but I think a little atmospheric perspective could really push distance. Its kind of tricky because it looks like your darkest dark in the distance is from the cloud cast shadow.I attached a quick example of how it would look if you lightened the values in the distance to create separation between your foreground and background. I also tossed a little of the warm sky color into the distance to create some harmony. Typically your color temperature cools in the distance so your yellows will be one of the first to drop off.
    Excellent feedback! Thank you, @wildcory1 And thanks for taking the time to show me how an adjustment to the sky might look. Creating the illusion of distance is exactly what I am struggling with...
  • ElizaEliza -
    edited December 2015
    Don't change a thing!  It's beautiful.  Go with your instincts on what to do.  I love your style.  Especially the usage of greens.   To my eye, I find the colors balanced.  You have a "figurative painterly" touch with color. Well done.
    mlr4948billj
  • ElizaEliza -
    edited December 2015

wildcory1:

I find your color adjustments washed out.  I love the boldness of color saturation mlr4948 has used in this landscape.  While atmospheric perspective would show tinted color, I like the treatment mlr4948 uses.  Call me unconventional.  Shrug.
    mlr4948billj
  • I really like this as it is. Works for me on every level.
    mlr4948billj
  • I like the painting very much.  The sky is fantastic.  I do think that the yellow green grassy field should be two or three shades lighter and slightly bluer as it recedes to put more perspective in the painting.  That is a very minor adjustment to a very nice painting.  My opinion is worth about 2 cents.
    billjmlr4948
  • Awesome, eye-grabbing piece of work. Do a series and have a showing. They will sell. That is NICE ART.
    billjmlr4948
  • I agree with Kingston, Don't change a thing. Excellent work.
    mlr4948
  • SummerSummer -
    edited December 2015
    I'm looking at both the original and the Ps versions of the above paintings.  Both are very nice.  I don't think atmospheric perspective is an issue in the first painting if the clouds are really that dark because the landscape has to reflect the dark clouds even at and near the horizon line thereby debunking the atmospheric perspective theory in this instance.    I like the painting with the atmospheric perspective adjustment as well with the less dramatic cloud cover.  So it comes down to a personal choice of the painter as to which type of clouds should be painted.  One is just more dramatic than the other.  Just my opinion.  Summer
    mlr4948
  • Let it dry then try a small area with your suggestion!
    mlr4948
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 2016
    If you had to break the rules of atmospheric perspective to attain the first version, so be it.  It just happened to be what the painting needed to make it work!  The adjust painting may be correct but the first one is better IMHO.  Your artistic eye and judgement is right on!  I think it fell into the area of good design.  You know when to break the rules.  And I simply love the painting and have made a copy of it for my desktop.  Congratulations!  :)
    mlr4948
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 2016
    I just want to add that your painting makes an excellent "Set as desktop background" image.  :)
    mlr4948