Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

25 year old lady from Canada with a few questions

Hello everyone! I am so excited to learn oil painting! I've always been interested in the depth that a person can achieve with this specific medium, but ran in the other direction after using turpentine as a solvent the first time I tried my hand at it. What a horrible feeling.

In my past I have explored plenty of mediums, searching for the right one (photogrphy, drawing in almost every medium, metalworking, ceramics, fiber, and painting in watercolor, gouache, acrylic, oil) and by far my favorite has been expressing myself with oil. It's extremely satisfying and traditional, which I have always leaned towards in terms of mediums.

I am currently painting my first impasto still life and have now got all my colors ready to go (55 matched tones, shadows, highlights, etc...), I also have a sketch done on a stained & gessoed cotton canvas.

I primed the canvas with gesso(that was originally for an acrylic painting), and just found out that oil painting actually may require a different type of gesso type substance specific to oil. Will my acrylic gesso cause problems?

I also purchased an instructional video on portrait painting where the instructor demonstrated his technique of using acrylic burnt umber as a base for an oil painting in order to save time. I was wondering if this causes any kind of long term problems as a painting ages as well.

My main goal is to create a non-toxic environment because I do not have proper ventilation as of now. I have read that it is preferable to avoid thinners, and stick to oils as solvents because of decreased deterioration of the painting in the long run.

<3 much love to you all! Please link me to your artwork, I'd love to see it :D

Comments