Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Best brush package for oil painters?

Which package of brushes are recommended for oil painters? I would be ordering online as there is no art store anywhere near me.

Comments

• SummerSummer -
    edited October 2015
    This isn't a package but it is what is recommended by Mark for painting the Carder Method of oil painting. In the Videos & Tutorials section there is a supply list tab at the top called "supply List". Click on that and scroll down to "brushes for painting". There you'll find the brushes for oil painting the Carder Method. I'll try and add that section to this post.

"brushes for painting

Different people have different preferences when it comes to brushes. I've tried all kinds of brushes, and this is what I recommend to people who do not want to spend too much money:

At least two small detail brushes, like the Winsor & Newton Monarch Round #00

At least four small filbert brushes like the Winsor & Newton Artists' Oil Brush Filbert #2

At least two medium-size filbert brushes like the Winsor & Newton Artists' Oil Brush Filbert #5

If you are going to be painting large paintings (30"x 40" or larger) you may want to purchase some larger filberts.

The above recommended number of total brushes should be considered a bare minimum. I personally use about three or four times as many brushes when I paint. Using too few brushes will make painting more difficult.
    brushes for staining & varnishing

Two large 2-inch brushes like this one:

Be sure to work new brushes in your hand before using them so that any loose bristles will fall out. This is especially important for the varnishing brush as the the varnish dries quickly and you won't have a lot of time to be pulling bristles out of your varnish." :)
  • Thanks a lot. And thank you Mark. I am stretched thin learning different mediums and techniques.