Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Tomatoes...reds...

Hi everyone,

Working in my first still life and I have couple of bright Romano tomatoes on my scene, I can't get the Geneva red to be as bright as my tomato, how can I get it???

Cadmium red?

Thanks!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] admin
    edited September 2015
    If you balanced your whites with the color checker correctly when you started, then yes, a good cadmium red might work. However, before you go out and get some, first make sure the value of the tomato is not lighter than white or very close to white. If it is, you will not be able to get the red color no matter you do. You really need anything colorful, especially "deep" colors, to be significantly lower in value than white paint. As you approach black or white with paint, you also start losing the ability to have saturated color. Mark demonstrates this extensively in the lesson at the beginning of this video: https://youtu.be/DxPmQhwPcgM

Do you have a photo of your setup?
  • Hi @David_Quinn_Carder! Thanks!

This is one of my tomatoes.Thank you for your comments, I'll try this afternoon. BTW I had problems printing the images of my still life, they are just off. Do you know a good online source to get this printed the right way? even better, somewhere in Dallas.

Thanks!
    1.jpg 278.3K
  • Osedma

Try these;

coupralux - printmaking studio
    www.coupralux.com/
    Giclée Printmaking Studio. Move ... Center Blvd Dallas, Texas 75207. Digital Capture ... Giclée that is fine tuned for a variety of artist canvas and fine art papers.

American Litho Color, Inc., Dallas, Texas. Fine Art Giclee Printer ...
    www.americanlithocolor.com/
    Fine Art printer since 1971. Offers prepress, scanning, photography and large format digital printing.

Canvas and Framed Giclee Art Prints for Sale in Dallas, Texas | The ...
    https://www.theartmenu.com/
    The Art Menu is an online art gallery and boutique art brokerage firm with a fresh focus on the most exciting and innovative Artists in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Best Giclee print in Dallas, TX - Yelp
    www.yelp.com.au/search?find_desc=giclee+print&find...Dallas%2C...
    Reviews on Giclee print in Dallas, TX Benson Cobb [Gallery + Studios], Canyon Creek Art & Frame, Texas Art Mart.

Dallas Canvas Photo Prints, Custom Made Picture Frames & Plaque ...
    www.dallasoncanvas.com/
    Dallas Canvas Photo Prints, Custom Made Picture Frames & Plaque Mounts, Face Mounting Prints ... Giclée Canvas Material ... Dallas Giclee Print On Canvas
    Welcome to Signature Image

Denis
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] admin
    edited September 2015
    Printing images? If you're doing a still life, I would strongly recommend painting from life, not from a print. In any case, if you're trying to match this color from this photo, that should be very easy to get with the Geneva Essential Palette.

I'm not sure what the problem is… for the darkest colors, Rosso Corsa and Burnt Umber (plus further adjustments with other colors as needed), and for the lightest colors, Rosso Corsa and either Cadmium Yellow or Titanium White (probably at least some yellow, as it does lean towards orange a bit, at least on my screen).
  • @osedma I know that you didn't ask, but the diffuse front lighting of your still life isn't giving you any significant shadow shapes. The resulting painting may lack depth and have a flat appearance, like a photo taken with a flash.