Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Painting Nina

edited March 2015 in Post Your Paintings
So after I watched some other instruction video on how to paint quickly, I took a break and tried painting something in an hour or so.. I knocked out a few of those but now I wanted to get back to some good stuff.. Here's progress so far..
I also realized I had 5 16x20 frames I need to use so I'm going a bit bigger than what I normally do..
[Deleted User]dencal

Comments

• Daddyjama

Looking good!

Denis
  • I like the start, will watch the progress.
  • Just about done..

I can't put my finger on it... I feel there is a "pop" painting look that's just on the wrong side of looking reeeeeallly realistic.. I'm sure there's a technical tweak that I need to incorporate.. I've been wondering if it's color choice or steps or what but it always seems to start well and by the end I lose the realistic aspect??

Comments?suggestions??

Thanks for looking
    dencal[Deleted User]
  • Daddyjama

Nice work. Nothing "pop" about it.

Denis
    DaddyJama
  • edited March 2015
    OOOPS - I didn't see that you had posted more finished photos before I wrote what I wrote below. Having said what I said below, maybe the hair is too consistent in value and color. Making it all so dark will leave it looking flat and "pop" art-ish. Maybe the eyes still have the issue I describe below.

I WROTE THIS PART AFTER SEEING ONLY THE FIRST SET OF PHOTOS

B,

I see what you're talking about... maybe it's the eyes and the contrast, or the very dark eyebrows without differentiation in value within. That sort of stuff can make something look flat, or "pop". But really, you can't tell until there is more to the painting. Also, there's glare on the canvas texture that makes it a little big hard to see properly.

Another thought, without seeing the reference, may be that the whites of the eyes are too equal in value. They would most likely be darker and reddish or blueish-red in toward the tear ducts. That may be part of what you're seeing.

Can you post the photo you're painting from? If it is a photo you're referencing.

Garry
    DaddyJama
  • I agree with @garrykravit . To put it simply, it looks like the middle of color and values are missing. When I say color, I mean the middle or between the cooler colors and warmer colors. The transitions between these colors has to be believable. The easiet way to figure it out is to color match with scrutiny. I'm amazed at how many times I thought my color was correct to only find it to be very wrong. Your dab of paint on the reference photo should disappear.

I do think that this painting has much improved from your last one. And that is a success. Can't wait to see more.
    DaddyJama
  • Megan, you are so right. That has been my experience also especially with portraits.IMHO it would seem daddyjama is working to fast. I try to really slow down my pace and it helps. Marks method (for me) creates a sense of confidence that can inadvertently speed me up. I tend to mistake painterly confidence for speedy execution and the two need to be separated.
    DaddyJama
  • Thanks all for the suggestions and support.. I'll have to get a reference and a better pic when I get back from our if town..
  • So really comparing my colors closely , they are way off.. I don't wanna post the reference:) but I do see the differences..
    Taking my time is prob a huge factor.. I started my paint steps and didn't really go back and check.. I used the range I ended up with bumping warm and cool on the fly but overall the skin tone was toooo gold, along with the suggestions you all have made..
    So with that said I think my next one will pic a picture with hair and a color I haven't painted before.. .. Practice for attention to detail..
    greendl
  • Megan.. When u say warm to cool transitions I don't follow.. Do u mean reddish to bluish?