Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Silver Cup with Pear and Leaf

edited March 2015 in Post Your Paintings
Here is a daily painting I did last week. I'm trying to paint more and more without using the color checker, though I usually use it on one painting and then not another as I'm trying to train myself to see color without reliance on the device.

This is a link to the time compression video made during the painting if you're interested in how it was painting: youtu.be/5EWLApfh6Qc

In terms of the video I'm setting up the cameras for the future to hang from the ceiling so they don't get jostled or nudged in the small studio as I move around, or change out the SD cards. This should keep them more stable between segments.

The painting is a 6 x 8"

The palette is, Alizarin Crimson, Cad Red Deep, Cad Red Light, Orange, Cad Yellow, Cad Yellow Light, Cad Yellow Lemon, Yellow Ochre, Permanent Mauve Blue Shade, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Raw Sienna, Viridian Green, Lamp Black, Titanium White (large pile), Flake White (small pile). This is more or less the pallet I use when I don't adhere strictly to Mark's method (which I often do). The Flake white does have lead it in so some people don't like to use it. It is a much less intense white than Titanium white and it also results in a warmer tint. I've come to like using it for that reason when I was a subtle, warmer impact on the color. These sort of subtleties aren't necessary for those newer to painting who are reading this but like anything the more experience you get you start to want short cuts and nuance. That's why there's orange and viridian on the pallet -- you don't need it, but it's a short cut that I like having. In fact, that's why all of the other colors are there, beyond what Mark calls for, they're short cuts.

In the medium cups is Gamblin Galkyd lite which is being used as a regular mixing medium, and Galkyd (regular) which is thicker and was being used for highlights and paint I wanted to stand on top of the existing paint. I'll answer the question I'd have if I were someone out there reading this, especially if I were new. Why are you using that stuff? Do you like it? Honestly, I'm using it because I want to use it up so I can have the empty jars it comes in for other stuff. :) Seriously. I've had it all for a while and almost never use it, but I figured that I might as well try it and see if I like it. I do like it because it dries the painting very quickly. What I don't like is that it has distillates in it and I'm trying to get away from using any of that stuff in the studio. I can't bring myself to throw it away so I'm just using it. There are two reasons I can think of to use a quicker drying medium. If for some reason you had a painting that you needed to get out and be dry very quickly, or because you like painting wet over dry, or for glazing or stumbling. Personally I prefer that the paint stay open longer, like with Mark's Slow Dry Medium. It is fun to experiment though because it allows you to have an arsenal of techniques which you can become comfortable with and which may come in handy some day.

The music is by my son, Kai, and my nephew Sean.

dencalrgrRonnaebsMauriceMelissaedward

Comments