Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

App design cost?

Does anyone know what the average cost of designing an app is? Just the design aspect of it not the cost of development.

Comments

• Have been both designer and developer in my previous life. There is no simple answer. Is it an app that uses standard mechanisms or do they need to be designed for customization. Cookie cutter or Monument Valley.
  • Castillo

Really? How long is a piece of string? Too many variables to make a useful answer.

Here is a clip from a helpful page http://mobiledevices.about.com/od/kindattentiondevelopers/a/Ios-App-Development-Cost-Of-Creating-An-Iphone-App.htm?utm_term=app design cost&utm_content=p1-main-1-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=msn&utm_campaign=adid-b8595287-f47c-4e2e-a1f0-b42ac3caaa23-0-ab_mse_ocode-4514&ad=semD&an=msn_s&am=exact&q=app design cost&dqi=App+Design+Cost&o=4514&l=sem&qsrc=999&askid=b8595287-f47c-4e2e-a1f0-b42ac3caaa23-0-ab_mse
    </<i>iPhone App Design

Your app design is vital to the success of your app, as this will help pull users to your app. It is advisable to invest in a good app design, as this will bring you better returns as well. Below is a rough estimate of your app design costs for different iOS devices:

•A basic iPhone app design usually costs you $1,000-$10,000. You can hand this base level design to your developer, who will in turn add in your content and images into the general code. Of course, creating an app for devices supporting retina display will be more expensive.

blockquote>

Denis
  • That is misleading. Is the design integrated with the function .is the design the function? Is t base on data or custom visualization. There is no simple answer.

What is the purpose of the app... Make money? Support customers.? Tap into cloud data? Prove that you can make an app?

This week Neil Young's Pono music player was compared to an iPhone. Blind test testers couldn't to the difference. A friend who is involved in the project couldn't tell even using $1000 headphone. What was the cost of that design. A simple cost or a simple lose?

You have to ask is it utilitarian, fully integrated, skin.
  • Pono is not an app (though it has an app to manage media files and download them to the device). The reason Pono will probably fail has very little to do with the app and more to do with fictional problem the device is fictionally solving. The app could be great and it wouldn't save the device.

As for costs for designing an app, as many have pointed out, it depends on too many factors to give a simple answer. But the *value* of a design is 0 if it isn't implemented. I see designs for mobile apps all the time. They're a dime a dozen.

The best niche apps solve a niche problem very well. The best general apps solve some general problem better than the other 100 apps that try to solve the same general problem. User experience is key, and on a mobile platform, very limited.
  • @Kingston @dencal
    I've never done work for an app before. I have no idea how much work it will end up being. The closest thing I’ve done in nature would be a website 5-10 pages(design&coding) but nothing with content management or e-cart.

One of my wife’s coworkers has an idea for a calendar app (for android devices) that will have this hand drawn/cartoonish look to it, which he wants me to create; sort of The Simpsons meet The Rugrats but more sketchy. He's shown me a wireframe with 15 different screens but most likely the final count will be double that amount plus he more or less explained how it will all work.

I’m not sure what’s possible, or the limitations when it comes to apps but I'm thinking most of what can be seen in every screen will have to be drawn/painted in Photoshop.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited February 2015
    Castillo

Blur has a page portion estimating design costs blurgroup.com

blur project
    App Design
    Cost: $5,000 - $50,000
    Delivery Time: 1 month - 6 months

The calendar app segment is pretty crowded. It will have to deliver outstanding utility and value to succeed.

Denis
  • Castillo

This should put the frightners on you.
    http://www.formotus.com/14018/blog-mobility/figuring-the-costs-of-custom-mobile-business-app-development

Business app development costs

Surveys

Update: A November 2014 Kinvey report based on a survey of CIOs and Mobile Leaders found that mobile application development is “costly, slow and frustrating.” According to this survey:

56 percent of mobile leaders surveyed say it takes from 7 months to more than one year to build one app. 18 percent say they spend from $500,000 to over $1,000,000 per app, with an average of $270,000 per app.
    Kinvey survey
    Source: Kinvey Survey

A survey of IT professionals conducted in 2013 by AnyPresence, a backend-as-a-service company, asked about the initial cost of developing a typical mobile application. Over half reported spending more than three months and over $50,000 developing a typical app. Very nearly a quarter reported spending over $100,000.
  • Are they still making apps?
  • Denis is right the calendar app space is very crowded.

Most apps sold are iPhone. I could be big fun. Charge based on time at a reasonable rate with black end royalties at a good percentage.

Most apps, that's about 99% +, do make a cent.

My suggestion. Do in in Flash get prototype working for general feedback. Then publish to both mobile platforms.

Have fun fun expect nothing.
  • Folks

I had to laugh. That company Formotus has developed Apps (4, I think) to estimate the cost of developing Apps depending on what features and functions you want.

So, you want to know the cost of an App? Yeah! There's an App for that.

Denis
    Martin_J_Crane
  • If you're really separating design and "development" 100%, why don't you just do the design yourself? Design is the how-it-LOOKS and how-you-WANT-it-to-function… development is the MAKE-it-function part. If someone wanted me to design an app and I didn't have to do any of the development part, in the past (when I had more time) I'd have done that for a month's rent. It's the easy part. You already have the design in your head, just Photoshop some mock-ups of each layout in phone portrait + landscape mode and tablet portrait + landscape mode, and add in some notes to describe animations and audio.

Someone who can code a website can make a more elaborate and semi-functioning mock-up, but it's not necessary. If you're solely taking on the job of the designer, coding isn't part of your job description.

I have no doubt that most people would overcharge for this, and I have no doubt that most people would do a bad job of it as well. Do as much as you can yourself, and save the money to hire someone to code it for you. If you can do the code as well… what do you need a designer for?
  • edited February 2015
    @David_Quinn_Carder I won't be doing any coding, someone else will be doing the developing part. My job will be to take his sketch and give it life.

Just trying to figure out what reasonable prices are in this market so I won't go overboard or vice versa.
    Alberto
  • Oh, so you're asking what you ought to charge, not how much to pay someone else. I misunderstood.

Can't help you there. I've always undercharged because I suck at business.
    TwoPaletteSummer
  • It sounds more like you are being asked to do graphic design for an app, and you should check on rates and pricing for graphic design, unless I'm mis-understanding this (which is very possible).
  • App design cost depend on the company demand status and it also depend upon the app features.
  • edited May 2015
    An easy way to find out is go to one of the freelancer websites and ask for a quote for designing an app. You will get a range of fees. Throw out the lows and look at those within 20% of each other. If the prices are all over the place, then there needs to be more clarity in what the job entails. Most likely you will get quotes from Romania and India, etc., but there are a few college kids in the US that freelance and work off those sites. Forgot to finish...the US rates are more in line with what you may be able to charge.
  • Depending on the rates, design may cost from $2,800 ($35/hour) to $4,800 ($60/hour).
    It includes the following stages: Analysis of the market and prospective consumer; UX/UI design and usability testingFinal product design... Here you can find more information http://idapgroup.com/blog/how-much-cost-develop-custom-app/
  • This thread is really old and most of the people have faded into the background though they may still be lurking.  I'd just like to have it on record that more than another calendar, I could really use an app that would be something between a text word document and a post-it note--if anyone is looking for an idea to develop.  Just saying.  Summer
  • I've got one for you @summer. I haven't used it in decades. It's a paper-tape teletype. The keyboard weighs about 11lbs though.
    SummerPaulB
  • Summer said:
    ... really old and most of the people have faded into the background ...
    Would oiling them out restore their lustre?  Sorry.
    BOB73
  • PaulB said:
    Summer said:
    ... really old and most of the people have faded into the background ...
    Would oiling them out restore their lustre?  Sorry.
    Very funny!  Don't we wish.  I sure miss them.  :'(
    PaulB