Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

yosemite

very bad OS X update, bugs everywhere, don't do it until they release further update. my machine has taken weeks to debug and far from fixed. if you do install it do not use file vault. i'm still getting up to estimated 400 days to finish encryption, no fixes.
Castillo

Comments

• Only issue we've had so far is that the volume can't be changed in the OS with our external speakers (we have to turn the knob manually). The only control we have is switching between mute and on. Lots of people are reporting similar issues so I imagine it will get patched soon.

But we do not use FileVault.
    Castillo
  • edited November 2014
    Had a frustrating experience when I updated my . . . . . I mean . . . my wife's iPad to iOS 8. It pretty much cripple its efficiency in half, because of that I've been ignoring the "Yosemite" upgrade.

On the plus side, because of the whole iOS 8 fiasco Santa Claus has agreed on delivering a replacement. >:)
  • I have had no problems on MacBook, iPad or phone. That is except not enough room on my pad.
    Castillo
  • rgrrgr -
    edited November 2014
    My last upgrade on my mac broke ProTools, Band-In-A-Box and some animation software I (occasionally) use, and disabled anything related to foreign codecs. It also broke java, but that was an easy fix. The ProTools fix was expensive. Band-In-A-Box is still scrogged. I'm holding off until I hear something positive from the protools forums.
    Castillo
  • kingston, you must be lucky. i lose wifi constantly, macbook air overheats, kernel using 50% cpu, router must be reconfigured and reset everyday, file vault is stuck in hell, mac is slower than a frozen snail. reboots are constant. the complaints are overwhelming in the forums and no fixes for many issues. others have worse problems as i probably because i do not have extra software on the laptop. many people are in disbelief they pushed this out. i've done every fix posted including reinstall and still a mess. 10.10.1 is coming but there are so many issues they will be fixing this for a long time. the last download/reinstall went into the launchpad. i'll rethink another mac. i have iMac, macbook air, iPad, iPhone. and it will be quite awhile before i buy anything apple.
  • I would new use file vault.
    Did you make a clean backup with super duper before you upgrade. If so have you reformatted and reinstalled Yosemite then restored from BackUp? Your mac may be slow because of file vault it's trying to manage a lot of inscription tasks. ugh. I can't imagine why your router needs to be reconfigured. The Mac doesn't control it unless its an airport. Your Mac may technically have been a candidate for Yosemite but there are considerations. Amount of free disk space being the major issue I've heard of. I always keep 30% or more of my internal drive free. I have 6tb in external to handle the mess.
    12 years ago I lost everything when 2 drives fried. Now every Friday I back up my two key drives using super duper. Every six months I buy a new backup drive.
  • "Macs are easier to use than PCs" - LOL!
  • If you use a computer as much as I do for as varied tasks as I do. Macs are easier. If you are geeky, like convolution and adding extra steps to every task then PCs are for you. :D

As far as backing up ... PC, Linux, Mac whatever. If you don't do it one day it will bite you in the butt.
  • My hubby used to be a die-hard PC fan. He has since changed his mind. I am now staring at a wonderful Mac screen. He keeps everything running in top shape for me. I'm sure he could add more to this conversation since it's his line of work. All I've got is the name of the back up that we use. CrashPlan. It happens at night when I don't notice it's doing it. Does it automatically. There's a monthly fee.
  • Sorry guys, I just find it funny how Mac people are always saying how easy Macs are to use - and then having pretty prosaic problems to deal with. I've found that with PCs you can usually work out how to solve a problem, but with Macs you either know the solution or your screwed. I concede though that this may be a pretty naïve view. I also learnt the hard way the value of regularly backing up my hard drive.
  • my computer woes have worsened. apple is stumped at what my machine has morphed into. i'll be leaving the group because i have to wipe my drive clean. i ordered a 1TB backup drive and have to shut down due to insane overheating and wait for the drive and apple the to fix me. weeks i'd guess maybe more because of the christmas gifts flooding the techs.
    have nice experiences and holidays.
    fwiw, marks paints sound perfect for adding chalk for luminosity, looking forward to getting some.
    cheers.
  • Greetings Painters.
    The issue with the OSX 10.10 and 10.10.1 upgrade was in part due to the automatic upgrade setting. Users weren't prompted for clean installs and in some cases the upgrades brought hardware issues to light. You could find a motherboard is faulty and replacement required. The FileVault encryption process is one of the features that has shown under the surface the need for a disk repair or erasure. The overheating is caused by the system working at capacity using disk space as virtual memory. If the problem couldn't be resolved by Apple Care techs the last resort is erase disk then into hardware. The system is easy to troubleshoot and diagnose by the user and is very quick to repair, however, hardware issues are often difficult and not easily performed. Backup drives have become tools in cases like the above. If it fails after erase and restore, it's time for the solder gun.
    From my iPad
    Kingston