Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

A Big Announcement! The Draw Mix Paint Online Course

Comments

• I'm very interested, but my day job is I'm a painting contractor and summers are busy for me. Will you be doing the on-line course this winter?
  • I can never say for sure, but I am pretty sure we will be.
  • @Kingston Here is all the info: http://www.drawmixpaint.com/classes/online-with-mark.html

The schedule works like this:

• During the calendar month before the class starts, you will work through the first three steps of the course (Getting Ready, Choosing Your Subject, and Preparing Your Canvas). After each step, Mark will review what you've done and then give you the go ahead to move on to the next step.

• You can start STEP 4 on the first day of the month you sign up for (which would be August 1st in this case), and the procedure will be the same: go at your own pace to finish each step, and then Mark will let you know when you can move on. It's self-paced, but Mark will let you know if you need to slow down or go faster.

• The course ends after 31 days from the beginning of the month you sign up for, or when you finish your painting — whichever comes first.
    IMH1955
  • I wouldn't think so, so long as it is 4ft away from you and you can turn your chair towards it so your shoulders are square.
    Vincent
  • Yes, although you can put it on whichever side suits you.
  • You want your shadow box as close to your easel as possible (left or right wise.) But you don't want it to so close to your easel that it makes it difficult to use your proportional divider.

You definitely want the front edge of your shadow box to be at least four feet away from you as you sit at your easel.
    VincentRosanne
  • @Vincent In our workshops we do arrange everything on the opposite side for left-handers, but it's 100% up to you.
    Vincent
  • The studio setup including the dark background, dedicted shadow box, lighting, and fixed positions of the easel in relation to the shadow box and palette are not possible for me to duplicate where I live currently. In the future, when we move, I will have an area I can dedicate to painting but not now.

Has this happened before for other students? Are there other solutions that people have found?
  • Ten feet square is about minimum for working from life. If you work from a photo, then a bit smaller, maybe 7x7. How much space have you got?
    savignano
  • I have an area of about 8' x 4' that I am currently using. However, it is in my living room and I have to take everything down when the family is at home. So I am constantly setting up my area then having to take it down each time I paint.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I agree, I think what I am going to do is to trying to paint a simple still life like the silver cup Mark uses in his painting video, and if that goes well buy the portrait video and give that a shot.

If it all goes well I would love to come to Austin for one of the workshops, the Sargent or Portrait both look like a lot of fun and and something that would be worth the trip.

Thanks again
  • I would like to do the online course but not sure how to send pictures on the computer to communicate for the class. How would I learn how to do this and what would I need? Roy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] admin
    edited August 2014

I would like to do the online course but not sure how to send pictures on the computer to communicate for the class. How would I learn how to do this and what would I need? Roy

@RoyNishioka What kind of camera do you have? If it's a phone, what model phone is it?