Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Using Oil Instead of Retouch Varnish

Comments

• Should you be careful not to get oil on the areas that have not been painted?
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    edited May 2014
    No, not at all. It is perfectly fine to paint over the oil. That is why using oil is better than using varnish if you plan to do any more painting.

If you do not plan on painting any more and the painting is finished, then you should just let it dry for a couple of months and then varnish it.
  • Junebug

I like to coat a fine layer of oil on a dry canvas on the area I am about to paint.
    The color flows beautifully and covers well. Kinder to brushes as well.

Denis
    marieb
  • @dencal

Linseed? or do you match the binder in the paint you're using? Say, walnut or safflower. I'm gonna try that as my paint doesn't go on as smoothly as I would like.
  • Great blog post and video, Mark! And beautiful flowers :D do you paint the perishable parts first so when they die you can still paint the stems?
  • dencaldencal -
    edited May 2014
    Junebug

Any drying oil would do ... I use safflower only for immersion storage of my brushes.

Denis
    marieb
  • I have bought some oil paintings from overseas artists that are unvarnished (mainly due to the fact that they would not have been totally dry when I purchased them). I've noticed that they have some dead-looking/sunken patches. Could I lightly oil them out so that I can appreciate them while they continue to dry completely, or should I just leave them as is until completely dry and varnish eventually?
  • Vangie

Where ya bin?

Yes! Oil out and forget for six months.

Denis
    Vangie
  • Junebug

One other tip I forgot to mention - dip your brush in medium and wipe of excess before picking paint off the palette. Smooth release to canvas and easier to clean brushes.
    Don't do this when you need a dry brush texture though.

Denis
  • @dencal‌

Thanks for that tip. I wondered what the process was since Mark mixes medium directly into the paint. Eventually I'll get to needing the slow drying mixture. Maybe he will have the Geneva paints out by then. :)

jb
  • dencal said:

Vangie
    Where ya bin? Denis

:) Hi Denis. I have not painted for quite some time. I do have a lot of unfinished paintings, but I feel kinda "stuck" and overwhelmed somehow, and have not worked out how to get out of it. I know I should just tackle one painting at a time and maybe one area of a painting at a time, or even start a new one, but I just can't seem to do it, or shake off this "inner struggle". Maybe if I start oiling out one of my unfinished paintings, it might inspire me to get back into painting again.
    There are also a couple of books that I might buy which may help me get "unstuck".
  • Vangie

You need a big hug!

Start with some pencil or pastel drawing - the view from your room window.
    Do some sketches of your pets, family or friends.
    Draw some figure studies from posemainiacs http://www.posemaniacs.com/randompose

You will want to paint one of these as you will be captured by the composition or the light flow.

With minimal setup and a few minutes you will create a work of art.

What fun.

Denis
    Vangie
  • Thanks, Denis. Thank you for your encouragement.
    A year ago I bought Ester Roi's Icarus Art Drawing Board, a stepdown voltage converter, and all the materials required, but I've yet to use them. I got excited when I was ordering them, but when they came, I didn't touch them at all.
    I also went to a 10-week 2-hourly Tonal Oil classes, and produced nine 11"x14" unfinished still life paintings (which I'm not too worried about if I finished them or not), as well as an over-ambitious 24"x36" still life (which I would love to finish) which I think has been the main cause of my being stuck. This is the one that I think I'll oil out, and then see what happens from there.
  • I am working on a portrait and want to modify some areas that have dried. Is it always necessary to oil the dry areas to repaint them or should oiling only be done if the colors have dulled?
  • ZIM

Yes, I oil out for appearance and for reworking. Oiling out helps me see the the (post varnish) value relationships.

Denis
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    ZIM said:

Is it always necessary to oil the dry areas to repaint them or should oiling only be done if the colors have dulled?

No, only oil out if the colors have become flat.

Vangie