Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Two Essential Qualities in Good Realism

Comments

• Very good examples. Color, value and edges. I would love to see you focus on drawing in a blog. Using the proportional dividers and scaling. I think is this is the is the key to your painting style.
  • Before, I used to paint/think like Gould. My work always looked monochromatic and the colors I would use were highly saturated. Back then I didn't understand how I could make my work look like Fantin-Latour's. It wasn't until I learned about the 3-Dimensionality of color(hue-chroma-value) that I figured out what needed to be done in order to achieve the level of realism I wanted to depict in my work.

Knowing what colors I needed was only half of the equation, learning how to mix them accurately became my next challenge and thanks to Mark the journey doesn't feel impossible anymore.
    rgrMartin_J_Cranemarieb
  • That was a great post Mark. Seeing those two paintings together and pointing out the differences was very helpful.
  • I'll have to rewatch, but in the video where you paint your wife, you marked several points on her head/face that were key points. Do you think you could do a blog post over that as well sometime? I'd be really interested in what points to plot initially to learn. (it's also easier to remember since I've seen you do it)

Really stoked for that drawing one too :) the technical aspect of using the divider when drawing intrigues me, and definitely makes me feel like I can still do it even if I can't draw things freehand.
  • I'll be curious what you mean by "draw," i.e., whether you mean accurately transferring the contours of an object or image onto canvas for a painting (a preparatory underdrawing), or whether you mean making a finished drawing or sketch in its own right.
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    this

accurately transferring the contours of an object or image onto canvas for a painting (a preparatory underdrawing)

savignanoMartin_J_Cranemariebrgr
  • I find that when I try to focus on a detail or edge in Fantin's painting,I can't, there really isn't any "edge" or definite detail. I suppose that answers my unposted question on why the softening of edges is important.
  • but what is the reason of the work of Henri Fantin-Latour have a different "plasticity"? I realize that all the works of the old masters have this different effect .... this is the result of glazing on impastos?
  • I LOVE this! The paintings where the shadows are right and the details are exaggerated are so beautiful!
  • edited June 2014
    Saw the reference to Hopper,,,, how about Jack Vettriano.... Shunned by Art Establishment - Loved by the Masses! Immediately it screams Pop Art,,, Liechtenstein and Warhol... yet it aint!

Watched "What do Artists do All Day" parts 1 & 2 and was immediately reminded of Mark's approach... I like the way Jack doesn't blend too much and indeed some of his paintings because of this take on a Nouveau/Deco style,,, and indeed to keep this OT... check out his shadow work throughout his paintings,,, Does help to have a guy like John Swannell do your Stock Shoots for you (if you can afford him that is...)

Just somewhere else to go for inspiration

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jack+vettriano
  • Great Stuff... and since we're keeping it "Realism" here,,, check put Tim's Vermeer on Popcorn Time... i.m.o. given the era in which he painter Vermeer is the greatest painter of all time, Changed the way people saw and painted forever,,, Download Popcorn Time and watch it... then consider.... Is this how he did it? Who am I to contradict guys like David Hockney.... but how the Dickens did he paint all those self-portraits using Tim's method and/or Camera Oscuro.... he'd have to be in outside the box as well as inside it unless he had a twin! I cite the Astronomer as one such example... one of the greatest paintings ever imo...

"Game On" is a great piece... but Jack's Gallery is pretty good to say the least. Dunno how he and Hockney both smoke so much when they're Oil Painters... Guess the secret of Jack's work judging by his palettes is a bit of Burnt Ash! ;)
  • Here's one I like,,, recent piece I think... from Jack... Real retro Deco/Nouveau style painting. Notice hard lines in fold of her dress,,, nothing too blended... and the lines of the couch etc... Great piece of work.

I think his work in particular lends great credence to the points Mark Raises in his blog.... look into his shadowplay

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10420152_10152416718690279_2164912478432461493_n.jpg
  • Thank"s for your post, simple and clear demonstration.