Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Painting from Out-of-Focus Photos

Comments

• I personally don't mind a painting that mimics the "out of focus background look" of a photo. Have a look at @jcdr painting that is currently in the gallery HERE . I think if all the foliage in the background were in focus, it really would be distracting. For this painting, he color matched the background from a photo and just painted what he saw. I like it.
    CastillomariebMark_Carder
  • People's eyes are different. Young eyes see better as a rule than older eyes. A camera is only one eye. The blur effects from lenses vary dramatically. Great expensive lenses blur better than cheap lenses.
    I do a test when I talk with people on this subject. Look at the person next to you and focus on the eyes. Not taking your focus off the eyes describe the background in detail. Very very difficult.
    Painters don't nessesarily paint that way. We look at the individual area being painted at the time creating more focused images. We paint in F22.
    I purposely try to paint my point of interest with sharper focus. I try not to mimic photographic blurring using different background painting techniques.
    Most of the time I shoot my photos at high f stops and ISO to give me a fully focused image. This requires a good camera.

I smell a challenge here. Any ideas.
    Castillokierspics
  • edited May 2014
    Deliberately painting the artifacting that occurs in photographs can make for some interesting paintings, like in this painting by Damian Loeb.

http://api.ning.com/files/h-eqRHPIr3j39Ou2r18Y2xhGxJu1xWtUrgzOMzfQWltlKjhjupORI-JfcyOHxDfhh-m1MlNFpNmgm5oxWM*mwJQ1yEXnXMjU/beingtherelarge.jpg
  • Can't get the link to work
  • Perhaps I'm a weirdo, I tend not to focus unless I need to. Most people I've talked to focus in one small area and completely miss out on anything that's happening within a big chunk of their field of vision, others will constantly scan their surroundings and will perceive everything to be in focus. In my case I only seem to stare in any given direction and even though what I see is not in focus it enables me to cover pretty much anything inside my field of vision which I've found especially helpful while driving and I need to spot coyotes or donkeys approaching on either side of the road. It is also very useful when doing word search or when looking at stereograms. :D

Anyhow, when I was younger I had a tendency to draw everything as sharp as I could and with as much detail as possible leaving nothing to the imagination. Back then I thought "that is what great artists are suppose to do" and I feel that a lot of people just starting out believe its the only option.
    Kingston
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    Kingston said:

Painters don't nessesarily paint that way. We look at the individual area being painted at the time creating more focused images. We paint in F22.

Love this! :-)

• I don't know what F22 is.

When I finally get to the point of having my own style, I think parts of my painting will be focused and parts out of focus. Even the parts in focus will leave something to the imagination of the viewer so they can see and feel their similar experiences without too much influence from mine. My style and talent is a good ways down the road, so it may change by the time I get there. :)
  • F22 is a reference to the aperture of a camera lens. F22 allow for a deep depth of field - more stuff in focus.
    I'm glad to here that you want to paint things in selective focus. It's how I paint most of the time.
    Martin_J_CraneJunebug
  • edited May 2014
    **EXPERIENCING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES**
    savignano
  • @Junebug‌ " F22 " while some of us might argue that this is it . . . . .

. . . . . . . . in @Kingston‌ 's post it actually refers to this:

*MORE ON THIS ON A FUTURE POST
    Junebug
  • Is anybody else having problems seeing the images in Castillo's post?
  • No problem here. I paint with brushes! :)>-