Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

the use of slow-dry medium with flake white

I am about to make some slow-dry medium and give this method a try. Mark uses titanium white.I paint a lot of portraits and prefer flake white. How should the medium be used with flake white? Thanks for guidance.

Comments

• Mark will have to jump on this one
  • I have gone theough many of the topics and see that Andreas had questions on this March 2013. I would love to know what the results of the final mixing experiments were. I am wondering how adding the modified medium affected mixing the white with other colors, its coverage and adhesion. It is too expensive for throw-away experiments.

I also wonder if Mark can jump in to say why he no longer uses flake white. It is fast drying. Is that why or the cost which is high? Also it is toxic. Maybe all of these reasons. It would be hard to give up the luminosity.
  • Alright. I am new to this site and just getting used to wandering around in it. I just found a post where exclusivejuan asks about Mark's veiws on flake white and he responds. I still would like to hear from others who might have tried mixing lead white with SDM. Thanks.
  • I think the flake white would dry too quick.
  • -----------HERE ARE MARK'S THOUGHTS ON FLAKE(LEAD) WHITE-----------

TAKEN FROM
    http://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/comment/30739/#Comment_30739
    Mark_Carder admin
    December 2013
    " Lead white makes no better flesh tones than titanium. Why - because I can mix lead white color with titanium by adding a TINY amount of yellow and red. Lead white is also more transparent then titanium which makes it harder to paint with because you get less coverage.

The biggest advantage to lead white is that it forms a much stronger paint film, very resistant to long term cracking etc.

I used it for that reason for several years when I was starting out, but I prefer the working properties of titanium. And by the way, titanium almost always has some zinc white in it, this is necessary because without it, the dried white paint can become chalky"

TAKEN FROM
    http://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/comment/9917/#Comment_9917
    "Try adding some refined, but in the future just use the SDM for Titanium instead of the regular SDM with your Flake. If you want your flake white to dry at the same slow speed as the others you may need to add extra clove oil (same as the Burnt Umber). I used to paint with Flake so I know this will work"

------------------THIS IS FROM THE GAMBLIN WEBSITE---------------------
    http://www.gamblincolors.com/artists.grade.oils/whites/

"Gamblin Flake White Replacement: The first true nontoxic alternative to Flake White. It's the leanest of the Gamblin whites and a terrific underpainting white. Its beautiful opalescent quality is of special interest to portrait painters. Flake White Replacement has all the working properties of traditional Flake White: long ropey stroke, warm color, translucency and short brush mark. Not only does our FWR come without the lead but it also doesn't suffer from the fast drying time of traditional formulations, which contributes to the cracking of oil paintings over time.

Pigment: Titanium dioxide (PW 6)
    Vehicle: Alkali refined linseed oil
    Lightfastness I, Series 1, OPAQUE "
  • Thanks. I have avoided flake white replacement because I have been unhappy with using the hue version of colors rather than the actual pigments. The straight use isn't always as bad as the difference in mixing with other colors. It claims to be opalescent, a quality I love. I'll have to try this.
    Lydia