Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

turquoise and aquamarine

Hi
I can't seem to get good turquoise and good aquamarine colors to mix up.
Any suggestions? I am using Winsor/Newton paints.
Lisa

Comments

• jcdrjcdr ★★
    I'm assuming you're using the recommended palette -Titanium White, Cad Yellow light, Alizarin Crimson, Raw Umber, Ultramarine blue. You may need what Mark refers to as the "power" blue - Winsor & Newton Winsor Blue (Green Shade)
    David_Quinn_Carder
  • Viridian and cobalt blue to start both sidebar colors
  • Thanks for your help. I will give that a try.
    Lisa
  • Try 60% blue, 30% yellow and 10%red. It should get you in the ballpark. Then, as @jcdr said, add "power" blue as needed.
    David_Quinn_Carder
  • edited December 2013
    @Martin_J_Crane What's the red for?

When preparing to use a power color, your mixing pile should never contain opposites. In other words, in the case of Mark's palette, you can have a pile of pure blue (french ultramarine), or you can have a pile of pure blue and pure yellow (french ultramarine and cadmium yellow pale), but you would never have blue and orange in the same pile, etc. The opposite of a primary color is just a combination of the two other primary colors (the opposite of blue = yellow + red), so it would never be correct to try to mix a "power color" (a color of saturation/chroma too extreme for Mark's normal palette) with all three primaries in the same pile.

The proportion of blue to yellow in the pile will give you some kind of green. More yellow will make it a more yellow green, more blue will make it a more blue green. Adding red to this will only decrease the saturation/chroma, or "grey it up", because red is the opposite of green, pulling the color towards the center of the color wheel, and you will have to start a new pile to get maximum color intensity again. "More red" is just another way to say "less green". If you need any red at all, then you either don't need blue or don't need yellow. If you need any yellow at all, then you either don't need red or don't need blue. If you need any blue at all, then you either don't need yellow or you don't need red.

If you do need all three primary colors to mix a color, that tells you that you do not need the "power color" at all.
    rgrRosanne
  • On second thought, do what David says! :)
    David_Quinn_Cardermarieb