Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

My toddler can do that!

Carderites

Here is a quiz to see if you can tell the difference between Modern Art done by established artists and Modern Art done by toddlers.

I am proud to boast I scored 4 out of 11.

Denis

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jenlewis/quiz-can-you-tell-the-difference-between-modern-art-and-art
johnwwerby

Comments

• I got 7 correct. I missed 2,3,7,11 :-/ that was fun.
  • Denis, ha ha, they all look like "Modern Art" to me, so I didn't even try it.
  • @Kingston

The artist toddlers were four years old.

Denis
  • I got 8 and 11 wrong but then again I just think it was a bit of luck, all 11 paintings could have been done by either.
  • The only one I found appealing was #3.
  • 5 out of 11 right.

All I can say in my defence is that those toddlers are GENIUSES! =))
  • But seriously - no other art form is judged by whether the work is representational - think of music or dance - purely abstract. If a painting moves the viewer then who cares whether its a painting of "something"?
  • I got 5 right. Is the moral of this story to put a paint brush in your toddlers hand? I vividly remember getting a hold of my older brothers Mastercraft set of paints when I was maybe 4 years old. I proceeded to paint the toilet seat of the downstairs bathroom with a tablespoon in a impasto abstract expressionist style. My father didn't have the same appreciation for my art that I did. =))
  • edited September 2013

But seriously - no other art form is judged by whether the work is representational - think of music or dance - purely abstract. If a painting moves the viewer then who cares whether its a painting of "something"?

Agreed.
    Like some Jazz or progressive music. Some I like some I don't. The thing is, whether you like it or not, it is something.

• But seriously - no other art form is judged by whether the work is representational - think of music or dance - purely abstract. If a painting moves the viewer then who cares whether its a painting of "something"?

Music or dance can't look like an apple or a boat or a thing like a painting can. But I agree if a painting moves the viewer, who cares whether it is a painting of something. I sure don't.
  • johnwjohnw -
    edited September 2013
    I don't want to denigrate modern art, but...

If a musical composition cannot be positively identified as being from a toddler banging on a piano, or serious composer's composition...is it more or is it less valid?

There are rules of composition in both music, and painting.
    There is technical competence that can be displayed in both.

When you break the old rules of composition, you can have jazz, death metal etcetera.

When you break all the rules you have cacophony or noise, which some folks might appreciate as interesting or pleasing, and which may also follow it's own rules.

Is the art in the conception or in the execution?
    For example; if I thought of making scribbles as art, or moulding horse dung into a deity, and proceed to do so, is that art? Or is just the idea that was conceived the art?

If a child can execute similar, does it make him as talented, or his work as provocative?

I guess if it's pleasing it's art, or even if it's displeasing it can be art, maybe not as visual stimuli, but as a concept.

Sounds of all types can be pleasing, and oil colors on a canvas, just as well.

If I dump a wheelbarrow of empty cans down a hill, and record it as music, I should certainly have a sense of humor, or perspective as people critique and compare my masterpiece, and musicianship.

How do these works move, or not move you?

Am I incompetent to view and compare the worth of this art?

Trying to understand.
  • edited September 2013
    johnw said:

If a musical composition cannot be positively identified as being from a toddler banging on a piano, or serious composer's composition...is it more or is it less valid?

I think that's what is known as DUBSTEP :-j which I listen to but that is pretty much how my parents and a couple of friends would describe it
  • @Kingston your equating the lack of appreciation of modern art to "Tea Party" political thinking is puzzling. Perhaps this is not the proper section of the forum to discuss it but I am curious.
  • I only got 3 correct.... that's terrible. :\">
  • Kingston said:

@rgr I said "parallels" the thought (process). Or non-thought process.

Representational art can be equally be derided but what would be the point. What's the point of deriding either, that's lazy thinking.

What you are saying about deriding art is perfectly clear and reasonable. That any part of this somehow "parallels" the tea Party political movement is what's puzzling. I don't see the connection, but perhaps it's best to simply agree on the one and not the other.
  • I got 8 out of 11, but I think if you could see the whole work you could get most right. With toddlers and animals there naivety is such that they can make such informal marks, which often do have an intrinsic quality. Some of those pictures do seem to have some degree of thought behind them.
  • Lot of fun....5 out of 10
  • 7 right, but tossing a coin helped.