Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What Medium Do You Use for Plein Air?

I was just in a Plein Air Festival last week and used Alkyd medium. We painted for 7 days and then submitted our paintings at the end for exhibition. I didn't like the dullness from the Alkyd. Does anyone have any other recommendations to help the oil dry?

Comments

• I don't do much plein air painting (yet) but when I travel and use a pochade box I use WN Artisan water soluble oils and their water soluble medium. Works for me....
  • Or by using a retouch varnish.
    Or by oiling out.

Denis
    Graciella
  • Which alkyd medium did you use? I'm using Liquin (Original) and M. Graham Walnut and Alkyd medium, and they both dry glossy. Are you sure it's the alkyd that's making the paint look dull?
    Graciella
  • @Rgr I used Daler Rowney Alkyd Flow Medium. I will give Liquin or M. Graham a try this weekend. Thank you for your help!

@Robert Thank you for your comment. The retouch varnish did help to bring back some shine. For some reason the medium I used made my painting look like I had used student grade paint. (I was using Thomas Harding Oils) I'm used to that gorgeous lustre from Mark's medium. :O
  • I don't do much plein air painting (yet) but when I travel and use a pochade box I use WN Artisan water soluble oils and their water soluble medium. Works for me....

Thanks for the tip. I will try that as well. I need to join a Plein Air Group and pick their brains before next year's festival. I'd never tried Plein Air before entering this year's contest. I had an absolute blast!