Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Comments

• don't know... but a friend tried to persuade me to use software and a tablet to "paint." Just couldn't.
  • I have one of those. Its called a printer.
    Castillomarieb
  • Try it. It can be ver satisfying. and a great way to sketch.
  • Martin. This crazy thing is an xy plotter that uses brushes, water and paint. When it can handle 30 brushes I'll start to worry. :D
  • edited July 2013
    Actually its pretty impressive and fascinating to watch and these sorts of technologies raise lots of interesting questions, such as whether a non-human can make art.
  • @rgr The continued devaluation of art in our culture
  • @Kingston I hadn't considered it that deeply but I suppose you're right about that.
  • New technologies always render some old ways obsolete. You can choose to be a Luddite, bemoaning the unstoppable until you die, or you can jump for joy about new possibilities and opportunities. Basically, this often describes the stark contrast in attitude between old folks and youth...the genuine fountain of youth is in the brain.
  • What old way does this technology render obsolete?
  • edited July 2013
    CNC machines have replaced countless old ways of doing things. My own personal experience has to do with woodworking. CNC routers have completely decimated the skilled workforce of sculptors, patternmakers, knifegrinders, and many other highly skilled craftsmen in the furniture and cabinet industry that once did things by hand or by skillful set-ups of less sophisticated machinery. Even surgery is being performed with this technology in some cases. Just as Kingston points out that this technology is devaluing art, it also follows that many artists in the graphic arts business will no longer be needed. It won't devalue all art or eliminate work for all artists using traditional methods, but many will have to think anew, find a niche, or learn new skills if they want to stay in the business. There is probably not a single important industry that hasn't replaced what were once essential, valuable skills with computer programs and robotics. But there is no good reason to be upset or sad about it because there is no way to slow or stop this sort of progress...by embracing this dynamic and adapting to it, we can mitigate or avoid the inevitable disruptions that result.
    Martin_J_CraneCastillo
  • edited July 2013
    I was a draftsman by training and worked in the automobile industry but early on decided on a complete career change after seeing that it was all going to be CAD/CAM. I didn't have any beef with the technological developments, but what attracted me to the job was the act of drawing with a pencil, and that aspect of it was soon going to be obsolete. I guess maybe if I knew what the creative possibilities were, such as the work the Kingston did in the industry, I might have reconsidered, but I didn't at the time. Luckily for me I was also interested in left-side-of-the-brain things so I found a way to make a living. As far as making stuff, however, I do it for my own sanity and have the luxury of keeping it old school.
    marieb
  • edited July 2013
    I'm not really too worried. The asian art factories have already devalued the lower end of the market.
    But a little history anyway. When I started out in the commercial art business typesetting was done with hot lead and it took a team of people to get 3 galleries out. To get a copy of something required repro-cameras and a team of people. Color separations required a team of people. Color printing required a big team of people and a large building.
    Times have changed. But one thing hasn't. The artists. I don't mean rendering but the eye and the vision and the mind. Technology has replaced a lot of hands. Hands of artisans which is sort of sad. Tech has only expanded what artists can accomplish. I'm reall not too worried.

You know whats really cool... 3D printing.
  • edited July 2013
    With regards to 3D printing, medical researchers have already been able to "print" human tissue and fairly simple body parts with off-the-shelf printers and using human (stem?) cells as "ink". This is just the beginning of that technology, so what will soon be possible is mind-boggling. Hopefully, the Frankensteinian practice of organ transplantation along with all of its medical shortcomings and the black market horror it foments will soon be obsolete.
  • With regards to 3D printing, medical researchers have already been able to "print" human tissue and fairly simple body parts with off-the-shelf printers and using human (stem?) cells as "ink". This is just the beginning of that technology, so what will soon be possible is mind-boggling. Hopefully, the Frankensteinian practice of organ transplantation along with all of its medical shortcomings and the black market horror it foments will soon be obsolete.

Or it can usher in a whole new Frankensteinian era as well. Think about an army of 3D printed soldiers that can run faster, see farther, shoot better, heal faster, need less food and feel less pain when wounded. With the mapping of the human genome and human DNA, A few tweeks to make this happen is not out of the realm of possibility. Picture huge buildings full of 3D printers churning these things out by the thousands or millions. It sounds like a science fiction movie, but then so did landing a man on the moon in the 40's. Technology can be great, but it can be a double edge sword too. Just sayin.

• edited July 2013
    "Technology can be great, but it can be a double edge sword too. Just sayin."

Pretty much sums up the lesson to be learned from the 20th century.
  • edited July 2013

"Technology can be great, but it can be a double edge sword too. Just sayin."

Pretty much sums up the lesson to be learned from the 20th century.

Agree 100%
    I'm going to go paint while I'm still awake. I'll be doing it the old fashioned way as well. :D
    This heat wave has been knocking me out. I wind up painting between 2-4 in the morning.
    Martin_J_Crane
  • Just got back from the future.After a few adjustments in my frontal lobe,I can now make beautiful art without lifting a "silly useless relic". Here is my latest.Just close your eyes for a moment.See? I know,Iknow,how in the world did I render the verigated gold leaf on that Trout and the small choir in the reflection in the flys eyes.Im going back for more input to become "4D certified" that will allow me to include smells in my "Imaginaryations". Certification will also remove any unapproved rouge creativity.I don't care for the future but my "adjustments" are helping me in not caring about caring.
    edwardKingston
  • timmy29 said:

Just got back from the future......Im going back for more input to become "4D certified" that will allow me to include smells in my "Imaginaryations".

On your next trip back to the future, do you think you could manage to pick up some stock reports, horse racing results and maybe some record size jackpot lottery numbers??? Would be much obliged :-bd