Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

The old-style DMP page has returned.

Has anyone else noticed that the DMP page has reverted to the older style? Or am I just hallucinating?

Comments

• Sales were WAY down. What we did learn is that our site design does indeed matter :-)
    CharleyBoymrkingcynthiagwilson
  • By sales being down, he means we got zero sales with the redesign. :|
    mrking
  • wow, that is very interesting and provides some good information.
    Mark_Carder
  • I didn't care much for the new design. I thought that new visitors would feel that they were butting into the middle of an ongoing conversation. You should consider keeping your main landing page fairly simple from a messaging standpoint. Make sure you always have a great answer to the WIIFM question (What's in it for me?) that new visitors will always be asking. I expect your core value proposition is something along the lines of "You too can paint a realistic portrait like this". Just address that on the main page.
    Mark_Carder[Deleted User]
  • It was all those catchy Hangout titles ("How to Make Painting Realism Easy" etc) leading people back to youtube never to return. The Hangouts are great for old timers like here in the forum. But for new people coming to our site, it is not what they want. They want to the point great art instruction.

So we have to figure out how to present the Hangouts differently.
    Martin_J_Crane
  • @thebigskyguy You're thinking what I'm thinking. In fact your "core value proposition" is almost verbatim what I'm going to try to emphasize in a design I'm about to start working on. It's just a guess, but now that I'm looking at the old (current) design again after not seeing it for a few days, I'm seeing things in it that are positive, so I want to try to capitalize on those qualities. Not just for the sake of sales, but to get more people to give the whole course a go and really learn to paint (if that's what they're interested in doing!).
  • tjstjs -
    edited June 2013
    The one that's up now I think is more user friendly :) Plus to me it has more eye appeal.
    Castillocynthiagwilson
  • It was all those catchy Hangout titles ("How to Make Painting Realism Easy" etc) leading people back to youtube never to return. The Hangouts are great for old timers like here in the forum. But for new people coming to our site, it is not what they want. They want to the point great art instruction.

So we have to figure out how to present the Hangouts differently.

tjs said:

The one that's up now I think is more user friendly :) Plus to me it has more eye appeal.

The old(current) design is flashier and easier to navigate especially for some individuals that tend to get lost with links, like my parents.

Mark_Carderjcdrcynthiagwilson
  • Elegant simplicity might be the answer (white negative space always helps) I did not mind the old layout, I just found all to be so large. maybe smaller thinner banners and pics with a bit more white space. Only my two bobs-(dimes) worth. :(|) :-j
  • David,

Some general thoughts:
    -The main page is a golden piece of real estate and should be focused primarily towards new visitors. I would make it simple in message (core value prop) but visually very attractive with one of Mark's detailed portraits that make the first time viewer ask, "Is that a photo or a painting". Provide the ability to "click to enlarge" so they linger a bit more. Include some type of limited dream message "have you always wanted to paint...." etc. next to that. Be sure to make it specific to Mark's realism "paint what you see" approach.
    -Sales 101 tells us you need to first understand what is going on inside your prospect's head before you can properly present them with a message. I suspect that most first time visitors to the site exploring realism will have some combination of two questions, 'Can I do it", and/or "How do I do it". For the "Can I do it" group provide a quick video message from Mark reassuring them that with his approach they can. And (most important) provide a testimonial/case study from someone on the site who was new or reintroduced to painting who created a credible piece of art (with example). For the "How do I do it" group (the "Can I" group will move to this next) include a prominent "Learn more" link to free videos, etc.
    -Move your call to action "buy/preview this video" up on the page so there is a natural flow from the initial hook to the call to action.
    -Much of the current wording assumes visitors are familiar with the old Carder Method site. You probably captured most of that group so get rid of anything referencing that. It's just confusing.
    -I wouldn't put much of anything else on the main page, except for a conspicuous link at the top right for the forums.
    -On every subsequent page be sure to put links to videos or other products you are selling.

As always, my opinions combined with about $4 will get you a decent cup of coffee most anywhere.

Doug
    tjs
  • tjstjs -
    edited June 2013
    The website that sold me on the idea in 2007 was the one with the quick video of Mark painting a pitcher still life and the British guy talking :)

If you were going to re-design this site I would be inclined to do something like that again. Like what Doug posted a splash page but have it be a similar sample video with maybe a catchy phrase above like "Complete Free Instructional Videos Using a 3 Step Process" or something like that. Emphasizing 'free' and that it's a no nonsense approach somehow? Phrasing is not my strong point in adverts :(

Then a sidebar with the first link "Where to begin" and the videos you need to begin to paint in this method. I think it would be helpful to for a splash preview that would start automatically of a mix of the videos on this page with a voice over and continue like this throughout the rest of the links.

I know for me I'd come to this one and maybe be a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff. Like holy crap I gotta watch all this? Depending on the mood I'm in that day. I guess I'm just impatient by nature. Guide people through the process of learning the method.

The advanced videos for sale should be the last although most people will go there immediately. I'd take some time with that teaser.

Doug has some great advice. It's not easy doing a web design for advertising. I worked in that industry for a few years at the beginning of my career and it took a whole team of people to do what David has to do and each department was loaded with experience I could always rely on and ask for help and advice.

David deserves a lot of credit for all the time and energy he has put towards this venture. It's not easy.

• We have some good ideas, including something I have been meaning to do for a long time. To film an introduction to the course. It will be featured at the top of the site, embedded ready to play. In the video I will explain how to get started and will also let people know about the vids I sell - in a low key way.
    Castillotjs
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone!