Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

VIDEO: MAKING YOUR OWN PANELS

edited June 2013 in Studio & Supplies
Okay guys, here it is. I made the video on making panels. I also have a resources page on my website for ordering the supplies and what it will cost to make these versus buying them commercially - a substantial savings.

For the resources page visit: www.garrykravit.com/panels.html
opnwyderrgrHarrelltjsdencalIllagoAmritRonnaebsmavis_swtedwardcynthiagwilsonCastilloAnnetteJ

Comments

• Um, wow. You are phenomenal. Again.
  • Great info! Another good thing about dibond is that it's so easy to cut to size. Just use a a utility knife to score through the top layer of aluminum (very easy as the aluminum layer is so thin), and bend it a few times. The cut edge will be very clean. If the edge is a little sharp it's easily sanded.
  • tjstjs -
    edited June 2013
    I really like this video Garry! Excellent. What is the largest panel can you do with this machine?

One of the other videos for making panels the gal is using laminol (photographic glue) and an iron. Could you do your process and just use an iron like she does?

• Thanks guys.

Anderson, yes, you can use a household iron. I think I mention that in the video. I think the Beva film is nicer than Laminol because a) Lamniol is hard to get, and b) Beva is not a liquid, thus no brushing, no mess.
    tjscynthiagwilson
  • Garry, nice video.
    Do you paint on hardboard/plyboard or mdf direct? I tend to water proof it with a layer of hammerite, a layer of gesso and then I'm ready to go.
    tjscynthiagwilson
  • Great video! Very informative and well done. Thanks Garry.
  • edward said:

Great info! Another good thing about dibond is that it's so easy to cut to size. Just use a a utility knife to score through the top layer of aluminum (very easy as the aluminum layer is so thin), and bend it a few times. The cut edge will be very clean. If the edge is a little sharp it's easily sanded.

Have you ever just painted on the dibond without gluing canvas/linen to it? Could you put a layer of primer like kills or hammerite then a layer of gesso like Amrit uses for the wood?

• Amrit said:

Garry, nice video.
    Do you paint on hardboard/plyboard or mdf direct? I tend to water proof it with a layer of hammerite, a layer of gesso and then I'm ready to go.

Thanks Amrit. I have painted on hardboard and MDF using a layer of gesso on it. I personally prefer linen because of the texture. I don't like a really slick surface. I also like how the finished painting looks afterward. But there are a lot of really, really fine artists who paint on board, Daniel Sprick is one who comes to mind.
    Kingston said:

when do you find time to paint?

:) When I'm sleeping.
    Kingston said:

Great video. You should use a silicon release mat in the mounting press to avoid getting glue on the top heat plate.

Great idea, Kingston. I need to get one so i don't get residual glue on the press. I guess I could also use wax paper or butcher's paper. I google silicon release mat.
    tjs said:

Have you ever just painted on the dibond without gluing canvas/linen to it? Could you put a layer of primer like kills or hammerite then a layer of gesso like Amrit uses for the wood?

I think you can do that, Anderson, I just wonder how archival it is and whether, in the long run, the paint/gesso will remain sticking to the aluminum.

G
    tjs
  • Great job Garry. I looked into doing this after the last discussion on it but the 20ft roll at 95 slowed me up. I understand that if you go through enough panels the cost is very good but it would take a long time to use 20ft for me. Maybe some folks would want to go in together on some of this or even better, someone set a a supply business and make them. Hey Liz, you busy? :-*
    I have painted on MDF and very the texture based on the way I apply the gesso. Sometimes with roller, or multiple coats with a brush in different directions. You can create quite a bit of tooth.
  • :3 send me some~~~ haha! :p Mr Handy Dandy~~ :D
  • mavis_swt said:

:3 send me some~~~ haha! :p Mr Handy Dandy~~ :D

If were still flying to Singapore I would bring you some.
    tjs
  • edwardedward -
    edited June 2013
    @tjs I haven't tried painting on dibond - I know about it from the sign industry. I do like a really smooth surface though, so maybe I should try it. I would fine-sand the surface and apply a good quality primer, then try to scratch it off with a fingernail to test it when dry. It seems to me that it would make a really long-lasting surface.
    cynthiagwilsongarrykravit
  • great video Garry, thanks for taking your time to show.
    garrykravit
  • edited June 2013
  • edited June 2013
    @garrykravit if you need some of these for the next video let me know.
    dmpRATING

greendldencalAnnetteJCin_D
  • Castillo said:

@garrykravit guess I bought the wrong press

Panini / Panel ... what the hell, they both start with P. Eat the panel and paint on the panini.

;)

Castillo
  • on the dinner table... you're a savage ! =))
    garrykravit
  • Garry- I probably need to call the company, but found BEVA 371 and 371B
    CPC002 - BEVA® 371 Film 2.5 mil. (27"x 20') Roll 105.00
    CPC003 - BEVA® 371 Film 2.5 mil.(54"x 20') Roll 210.00 but it did not show BEVA 371B- THE BEVA371B was smaller packaged as :
    CPC017 - BEVA® 371b Film 2.5 mil (0.5"x39 yds) Roll 15.00
    CPC018 - BEVA® 371b Film 1.0 mil (0.5"x39 yds) Roll 15.00
    your looked more like the 27" roll.
    Maybe they make the BEVA 371 B IN WIDER WIDTHs and just don't list it.
    Should I be asking for the 371 or 371b?
    -- also enjoyed viewing your paintings. really great.
  • greendl said:

Garry- I probably need to call the company, but found BEVA 371 and 371B
    CPC002 - BEVA® 371 Film 2.5 mil. (27"x 20') Roll 105.00
    CPC003 - BEVA® 371 Film 2.5 mil.(54"x 20') Roll 210.00 but it did not show BEVA 371B- THE BEVA371B was smaller packaged as :
    CPC017 - BEVA® 371b Film 2.5 mil (0.5"x39 yds) Roll 15.00
    CPC018 - BEVA® 371b Film 1.0 mil (0.5"x39 yds) Roll 15.00
    your looked more like the 27" roll.
    Maybe they make the BEVA 371 B IN WIDER WIDTHs and just don't list it.
    Should I be asking for the 371 or 371b?
    -- also enjoyed viewing your paintings. really great.

Hmmmmmm.... not sure what you're looking at.

I ordered ITEM #: ADF-8, BEVA 371 Film, 2.5mil, 27" x 20" for $95. I ordered from Conservation Resources. 800-634-6932.

Thanks for the painting compliments.

g
  • thanks, the web page had 371b so just wanted to be sure i was looking at the right thing. Other companies seem to be about $10.00 higher for the 20' roll, I was just looking a company that had no shipping cost for $100 purchase or more. 371 it is. thanks again