Quoting from the link:
• The most important of these is the range of yellow, orange and red pigments based on cadmium, which is a
toxic heavy metal and is regarded by the California regulators as a possible carcinogen.
• Modern cadmium pigments use a coating technology which “locks in” the harmful pigment particles, and
renders them relatively inert and harmless.
ACMI, the regulator which sets the rules for warning labels on artists paint has rated cadmium colours “AP
non-toxic” because of the coating."
"A sensible person might decide to use cadmium colours a bit more carefully than the other colours
marked “non-toxic”. How would you keep them out of your body, just to be on the safe side?
Cadmium is a cumulative poison which cannot penetrate the skin, is probably not absorbed by eating it,
because of the coating as it passes through, but in the lungs it would remain for a long time, and the coating
could break down, so if you really want to spray it, why not wear the recommended mask?
While it does not penetrate the skin, painty fingers on cigarettes can transfer pigment to the cigarette, which
explodes the cadmium as you smoke: this is the most obviously dangerous entry point to your body."
Of course it's still a good idea to wear gloves, not eat and drink while painting etc. My intention
in posting this is just to maybe let people know that it's not the end of the world if they happen to get some paint on their hands as it's not absorbed through the skin. Apparently the new lead paints use the same coating technology as the cadmium pigments.