Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

DMP - Finally Done

jcdrjcdr -
edited July 2013 in Post Your Paintings
So I've jumped in. 2 cavases toned and subjects drawn in
( maybe a little too much- old habits die hard)
question is, which one first? Portrait of my youngest daughter or Whitetail yearling.
Hmmmmm. The suspense is palpable.

Anyway, I enjoy seeing WIP from others so I'll post a few stages of this as I progress.

(Probably gonna be the portrait -'no blending' won't be as much of a challenge on a furred critter,....although.... I deerly love painting aminals. LOL
dencalrgrmariebedwardtjsAnnetteJelenaMerrittgreendlKayemavis_swtCarolineSummer

Comments

• You've got the touch. I'm looking forward to following along.
    mainer01
  • Oh dear oh dear... what to do? Paint the little dear first or the little deer? :D
    Seriously jcdr... I am already drawn into watching both of these come to fruition... you have a great touch with your drawings... well done!!
    jcdrmavis_swt
  • Thanks Martin, but I seriously need to develop some subtlety and finesse in my edge work. I'm dying to try some of the techniques Mark utilizes in the portrait painting DVD.
    See if this old dog can learn a new trick or two.

Martin_J_Cranetjs
  • edited May 2013
    I've made note that choosing the wrong photo can really create a difficult painting experience. So for what it's worth, here are my observations on these two options you posted.

The picture of your daughter is 1 to 1 ratio in size, that's a big plus. There is no need to make mental size conversions when you paint from a 1/1 ratio. But there are two things about the picture that worry me as well. The highlights in her hair on her right side (on the left in the photo) are badly overexposed, including even the ribon. When highlights are blown out like that, it can be hard to represent it in the painting without it looking "weird" because it already looks a little weird in the photo if you look closely at it. Secondly, it's a portrait. Doing a portrait as your first DMP painting is ambitious. I did a portrait as my first one and looking back, I think it was a bit discouraging for me.

The only issue I see with the deer photo is it's size. Using a small photo for color checking is pretty tricky. When you dab the paint on the photo, it covers too much area on the photo to allow for good color discrimination. It sort of robs you of the ability to have really in depth color matching "detail".

I'm pretty sure (considering your drawing skills....shew, nice drawings) that you could pull off either of these, but honestly, my best advice would be to take the deer photo and have it enlarged so that color checking will be easier on it and then do that painting first.

-Scot White
    elena
  • I am just blown away by the drawings at this point. Can't wait to see paint. About what Scot mentioned regarding the one side of your daughter's photo, perhaps you can adjust the same photo to tone down the brightness. However, I have never done this (or painted a portrait for that matter) so perhaps other members can chime in here. Good luck and take it slow. Donna
  • @opnwyder - Ok this is my bad. I hummed & hawed over the highlight issue for a bit, but it works with the overall scene and the feel of the light. If it was only a head & shoulders portrait, I think i'd agree and look for a better exposure but I had only shown you a close-up of the face because i thought the detail might be lacking when viewed online if I went too wide. Here is the whole deal.- 30" x 40" Although i want to nail her expression and likeness, the 'feel' of the scene is I'm trying to represent as well. If I were a true neophyte, attempting this might be crazy, but I'm only new to this forum, and the Carder method, not to painting. It's just been a while. I've always been a 'go big or go home' kind of guy and if it fails, nothing lost but a bit of paint, some cotton duck, and a day or 2 out of my life. What I stand to learn makes the attempt worthwhile.

As for the Whitetail, My bad again. I have a 1-1 close up of the deer's head printed out but only showed the wide to indicate the entire scene. I will continue to output & laminate areas of the image as needed for color checking.

Once again, my apologies. It wasn't my intention to mislead you. I'll try and be more succinct in future.

Thank you for taking the time to offer such detailed insights. I truly appreciate any and all input. You may yet be proven right re. the highlights:-)

@gus. Thanks Donna. Slow & steady...
    Mark_Cardermycedwardelena
  • Ha! I get it. Well, I can't wait to see these paintings. I can't compliment you enough on the drawings. Thanks for posting the WIPs and please continue to post them.
    jcdr
  • Go with your Daughter first, ( She is Beautiful ) Be nice to see them finished.
  • Thx Bill. Her name is Bella and thanks to her mom's genetics she does live up to the name. Just finished color mixing for her face & hair. Took me 2 1/2 hrs but i'm good to go.
  • Wow! "Work out" is an understatement, that looks great!
  • :-O Wow! Looking awesome.
  • I blame Mark. :-)
    I've always 'checked' colors by eye, never by laying them onto a laminated photo,
    and the stepped palette really makes the mixing a breeze.
    So simple yet so very brilliant. What a difference.

• Wow is right! You've certainly captured that sweet expression!
  • Thanks all for the cudos. I still see a lot of differences that need adjusting but I'm pleased for the most part. Itching to do the next pass tomorrow.
  • edited June 2013
    Inspiring WIP!!! Thanks so much for sharing your process. Harrell is 100% on her post! Brilliant! :x =D> =D>
  • Absolutely awesome. Looking forward to following. ^:)^
  • Very awsome and inspiring!!
  • Jcdr

Looking good.

Denis
  • Oh my gosh.... this is terrific!!! You are capturing the light just beautifully and Bella is a beautiful young lady. I also love the way your rendering the water... top notch!! ^:)^
  • You have to be loving the way this is working out. I know I am....
  • Thx Shirley, I'd like to think your beautiful owl is residing in those woods somewhere. . I'm loving Mark's DVD counsel. Very possibly the best $20 I ever spent
    Scot, Yes i'm uncharacteristically pleased with the progress ( albeit slow) I'm just getting to the point where you can see rocks through the water. Going a little cross-eyed. Mix, check, dab, mix, check, dab... time for a Crown Royal & ginger. Maybe a double.
    edwardHarrell
  • This is progressing beautifully, Awesome! You certainly earned that CR&G x2 :D
    jcdr
  • tjstjs -
    edited June 2013
    I just love the way you did her face. The colors and values are fantastic! I love everything about it! I just can't stop looking at it. You have set the bar so high on this one ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    jcdr
  • inspiring work! I agree with the $20.00 comment too.
    jcdr
  • @tjs - I went through the "OMG, that color can't be right" thing so much while painting her face. The palette was all greens & blues. but...forged ahead having faith that I was matching accurately. I never would have mixed those colors. but once all of the adjacent paint was laid in - voila- it all works. crazy.
    marieb
  • This is great to see. I think it is going great. Had the same feeling from the DVD, did not see color like Mark points out. You seem to have the face painted very lean at this point, are you going to let it dry and go over it, will it stay about where it is?
    John
  • @Jag - Hey John, I worked on the face a bit again before starting in on the water. The paint in the water is getting a little impasto and I'm kinda liking it. It's also still wet (unlike her face which has dried completely - arrrrgh) and I want to work into it today. Once I cover the rest of the canvas I'll go back and do a lot of - "what's different" I already see some issues in her face but I'll keep those percolating in the back of my mind for the time being. Lots of stepping back & looking.
    James

@Mark_Carder - any idea when the 10 day oils are coming out? Soon I hope :-) I haven't had the opportunity to make up your Slo dry medium so I guess adding a drop or two of clove oil to my walnut oil will extend my drying time.
  • FANTASTIC!!!!!
    jcdrcrane
  • @jcdr Awesome work!!! Was this done only using paint and some walnut oil?
    jcdr
  • @Mark_Carder, Thanks, although I seriously feel that you get a lot of credit for this. Your website and tutelage is so thorough.
    @ebs - yep, currently I use M Graham & Co walnut based oils so using walnut oil as a medium is a natural. My first pass on her face had little to no oil added, pretty much straight out of the tube. I almost never put my brushes in turps except for cleaning (when I remember- hate cleaning brushes) - then I condition them with oil again before I paint.
    tjs
  • @jcdr thats nice. I want to try M. Grahams paint. They sound very creamy, which I like.
    jcdr
  • Jcdr, I'm so excited for you!!! This painting is extremely well done. I keep clicking on to the site to see what stage of the process is finished. The water is so soft and sweetly placed. Love how you're painting this piece. Bravo! =D>
    jcdr
  • Thanks @cynthiagwilson, such kind words. I just finished another 5 hour stretch but it hardly seems like I've done anything. I'll wait another couple sessions before I post again. I thought painting the water might be good practice for the Monet waterlily forgery, now I think I must have hit my head at some point. :-O
    cynthiagwilson
  • It seems like every subject has some hidden complexity that is invisible until we are actually painting it. I swear I'm going to paint an egg on a black background next.....
    rgrCin_Djcdr
  • @opnwyder HA! Following your logic, the egg would most likely hatch before you could complete the painting. :-)
    Cin_D
  • wonderful so far...
    jcdr
  • ebsebs -
    edited June 2013
    The water and the rocks could be a painting in and of itself. Fantastic.
    jcdr
  • @ebs - Thanks, it kinda was. I'm just mixing colors for the water on her right at the moment. It's daunting but I like a good challenge. :-)
  • Scot, it's those kind of opinions I value. (Ha) ;)
    marieb
  • I still think my edge work sucks - just sayin'
  • When your update came onto my screen? I thought it was the reference photo! I am sooooo impressed!!!