Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How do I mix colours with dirty neutrals?

I mix any left over paint and put it ito a jar but when I bring it out I struggle to get the right colour and more importantly value with it? Any advice? 

Comments

• SummerSummer -
    edited August 11

I'd love to have this mess to use as a stain on a white primed canvas.  It would take a long time to dry if it is oil based but would be worth it.  Just have it facing a wall to keep the dust off. Adding Liquin Original would speed the drying time greatly. 

The other thing I would do is paint an overall themed painting by putting a bit of this mess in every color and value I mix normally.  The painting would have a moody cast to it.  Great for nocturnes. 

This mess is a great mixture to just thin and draw with over a stained canvas with a brush--maybe add a drying agent first--or not.  Adding just a thinner like an odorless mineral spirits would do.

Some paintings do require this very color/value.  Sounds like you don't have one on hand just now and so it isn't working for you.  I think in time it will. 

There are more things you can do with this mess that other members might have the time to share here.  Meanwhile, I hope this helps for now.

Summer
    ForgivenesstassieguyJackDalydencal