Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Geneva Oil Paints

edited April 9 in Painting
I'm almost ready to take the plunge to purchase some Geneva Oil Paints, however, I am more familiar at the moment using Griffin Alkyd (Fast drying) oil paints where quite often I use with Liquin (original and impasto) so I can get the texture I like. As well as texture, Griffin Alkyd paints dry faster which enables me to add more layers without waiting however long before I can return to the painting. I also like to include texture in my paintings and wonder how GOP handle textures without using Liquin?

To further explain this - I am certainly no Constable (only been painting for a year or so), but he is one of my favourite artists and I love the cross between the detail and the subtle abstract he applies to his paintings. I am really wondering if GOP work well with styles such as Constable? I realise Constables style is perhaps quite different to Marks (no blending/layers/ - or at least I assume Constable painted in layers??) but since I have never really used slow drying oil paints which are already a certain consistence, does this limit the style of painting you can do??

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

(I forgot to add an image of Constables to try and explain what I mean re: texture etc) 

Comments

• Nicky

Welcome to the Forum.

I have mainly used W&N water mixables with slow dry medium. On occasion I added Liquin or impasto gel as needed, without any problem. 

I have not used my Geneva sufficiently yet to advise on additive response. I imagine there will be no problems.

Denis

• That pic isnt high res enough to really see the brushwork but Geneva isnt good for impasto. Its good for painting wet in wet fairly thinly. Watch the videos of mark painting with it thats what its like
  • The push given to my painting life is by a painting called The Hay Wain and that picture above. Constable used a lot of techniques. But at that time there was nothing called Alla Prima or Wet-on-Wet. He (along with others) invented the techniques Alla Prima and Wet-on-Wet. I use his studio techniques to the best of my ability. 

If you're serious in going ahead, I would rather tell you to do at least 10 paintings the way Mark tells you to before choosing a style. That would require the kind of paint that he uses. By the time you reach 10th painting you'll discover his technique and your ways are merging rather than colliding. I suggest you follow his method for those many paintings without looking at other things.
    Summer
  • Thank you for your comments.

I think Kaustav, that is pretty much what I am struggling with at the moment. I feel like a bit at a crossroads trying to decide on which techniques to concentrate on. I haven't yet tried painting with Mark's method, but I do love the results from the video's I have seen, I've just never really been one for still life as I am always drawn more to landscapes.  Having said that, I do have an ornament of a standing Indian that I would love to put to a painting and I know Marks method would be great for that,

I am 95% there regarding taking the plunge and purchasing the paints and perhaps one of the tutorials to get me started.

Thank you again for your help.
  • Personally I really love the Geneva oils- I like painting with the limited palette - you can use whatever paints you like but until you purchase them and try them how will you know whether you like them or not? Go for it.