Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New to site

I recently found draw mix paint and plan on exploring the method.  Just beginning to paint and currently working in acrylics.  Thought I’d post a couple of works for critique, thanks. These are all 5x7”

dencalPaulBArtGalMichaelDBOB73jeff

Comments

• Schmoe

Nice work. The texture on the canvas panel is diminishing the impact of these beautiful birds.
    No doubt making the painting of them more difficult.

Try some aluminium composite panel.

Denis
    PaulB
  • Yes it was, I have a lot to learn.  But I did start one on  birch plywood and used gesso to smooth it out and that does seem to work better.
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    With finer details and smaller paintings, you need smoother surfaces.
    jeff
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Critique (just noticed you asked): The red in the two paintings is a bit uniform.  DMP color checking will help you a lot there.  You are painting with white, and are not reserving white for highlights.  Again, color checking and the proper photo exposure taught by DMP will help.

Great start.  You're going to love oils.
    BOB73Schmoe
  • Nice work,

I agree with the advice. When I tried canvas the analogy that its like trying to paint over a slowed field rang true.
     I use gessoed wooden panels and love working on them, very smooth and great for fine work.

:) 
    jeff
  • Thanks and I agree,  I did these before I found DMP!  I see so much wrong and I am just beginning but after watching a few of the tutorials, the method makes so much sense!  Looking forward to practicing/learning.
  • One way to try out the DMP method is to paint your same acrylic birds again on better (smoother and bigger) supports in oils. Especially Geneva brand. Notice I said paint them again and not meaning to paint over your finished acrylic works. They are quite good. Audubon would be proud. 
    Schmoe