Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Pecil for pre paint sketch on stained canvas?

I have a basic question. What type of pencil do you prefer for sketching your scene on neutral primed canvas before painting? I’ve tried many different types with varying results. Oil pencil, light or dark color, china markers, basic graphite, charcoal, carpenter’s pencils, I’ve also used tailor’s fabric pencils (yellow, white, and black). It seems as though Mark talked about this briefly in one of his videos, but I can’t seem to find it again. Which implement affects the oil paint the least? I noticed that a dark brown or black oil pencil or china marker tends to tint my paint as I brush it on. I’m also worried about lifting or cracking of the lines under a finished and fully dried painting. Any advice with your experiences and preferences would be appreciated. Thanks. 
MichaelD

Comments

• edited March 24
    Thats a good question and something I have been swithering with on and off for a little while. I tried charcoal but I find it too temperamental to work with, but maybe I am just projecting what I can be like onto the charcoal. Its a bit messy and vague, again so am I  :)
    I have used an oil paint pencil and found that did the job well, then an artist friend mentioned that you don't really know what other stuff is in it that could possibly affect the paint.

What I really like to use is an ordinary graphite pencil, but then there is a whole world of debates about that, with some believing that this can cause problems down the line with the paint over it. Ive come across just as many who either don't believe there is enough evidence for this and go ahead and use it anyway.

So I've been hopping between a charcoal, a watercolour and a graphite.
  • Heres what Mark has in the supply list on DMP site

"The Stabilo-All Pencil 8044 Yellow is ideal for penciling on stained canvas. Do not use a regular lead pencil, as it will mix with your paint and "gray up" your color."

PaulBJDaniel
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    MichaelD said:
    Heres what Mark has in the supply list on DMP site

"The Stabilo-All Pencil 8044 Yellow is ideal for penciling on stained canvas. Do not use a regular lead pencil, as it will mix with your paint and "gray up" your color."
    And like all pencils, this too will create dust, so brush off the dust before painting.
    Dianna
  • Ah ha! Yep that’s the one I remember hearing him mention. Now just have to find them. Next stop, Amazon. 
  • Jerry's Artarama is cheaper but unless your order is over $50 you have to pay shipping.
  • I bought the Stabilo-All Pencil 8044 Yellow from Jerry's and they work very well on Marks Foundation. The yellow stands out on the brown. Other than that I use a charcoal pencil or pastel.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited March 26
    JDaniel

Have tried all the options. After t/f in a light pencil I smooth, shape and edit the linework with a fine point sharpie and a Uniball Eye (detail). In this way if I need to rub the paint off a spot the drawing will still be there. Prefer to tone and large area block in with acrylic providing a receptive surface for drawing.

My aim is to draw loose linework with a large brush with no pencil or linework.

A very freeing approach I tried is with a wet solvent and oil mix, rub out the lights and double coat the shadows. This can be worked using the sharpie method under the tone. The benefit here is that the initial emphasis is on big shapes, light and shadows.

http://www.aristidesatelier.com/blog/wipeout-underpainting

Denis
    KaustavMichaelDNorquist