Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Getting ready to dance,....Just finished this oil painting on canvas board, comments please.

Comments

• PaulBPaulB mod
    Great composition.  I worry about her elbow.
    dencal
  • dencaldencal -
    edited March 22
    cbor47

Nice work. Appears to be soft focus, but this may just be the photo.
    The arm looks a little spaghetti like. Disproportionate forearm. Would look better with an elbow and an angular arm.

Denis

BOB73
  • edited March 22
    Very nice. The subject and composition remind me of Degas' dancers.  The upper arm seems a little long and the lower arm a bit short.  But it's still very pleasing.  :)
    dencalBOB73
  • Excellent work. At a distance (just my perspective) the violin is swallowed by the red cloth and the bow seems to be part of the chair.
  • Thanks everybody for your comments, I went back to the painting and changed a few things, I would like to pasta over a few points mentioned, the lengths of the arms are exact to the photograph although I did have to put more shape to them and the photo of the painting has somewhat changed  the colour of the cloth and violin that said ,it's good to get some expert advice.
  • Have a look at the photo again, the elbow is still too low compared to the source image.
    cbor47
  • Have to agree, the arm lacks detail .  If the lower part of the arm appears as short as it seems because of foreshortening then work very carefully on the elbow and shading / modeling below it.  Regardless, a little more work there on an excellent piece!
  • Have to agree, the arm lacks detail .  If the lower part of the arm appears as short as it seems because of foreshortening then work very carefully on the elbow and shading / modeling below it.  Regardless, a little more work there on an excellent piece!
    Thanks SeanArthur, I have put it back on the easel, took a while studying the arm and seen my mistake and hopefully rectified it, sometimes your too close you don't see, that's why all comments help and appreciated, many thanks.. 
  • Richard_P said:
    Have a look at the photo again, the elbow is still too low compared to the source image.
    Thanks, Richard P, have now sorted the arm a lot better than it was, I will in future take time to study form as my problem is hurrying to finish a painting then wonder why you missed what others see that's why I like this forum, many thanks,      Cornelius
  • For me, the biggest opportunity to improve this painting is around color checking-- your whites are too bright where they should be darkening the further you go to the right (into the shadow side of the painting) notice in the photo the difference between the color of the right side of the dress and hair clip.  If you can darken these areas, the left side of you subject will have more pop/emphasis. 
    PaulBcbor47
  • For me, the biggest opportunity to improve this painting is around color checking-- your whites are too bright where they should be darkening the further you go to the right (into the shadow side of the painting) notice in the photo the difference between the color of the right side of the dress and hair clip.  If you can darken these areas, the left side of you subject will have more pop/emphasis. 
    Many thanks..
  • cbor47 said:
    For me, the biggest opportunity to improve this painting is around color checking-- your whites are too bright where they should be darkening the further you go to the right (into the shadow side of the painting) notice in the photo the difference between the color of the right side of the dress and hair clip.  If you can darken these areas, the left side of you subject will have more pop/emphasis. 
    Many thanks..
    Also meant to say, parts of her dress are showing more brightness of white in the photo posted than the actual painting as you can see to much glare at the top left of the photo due to lighting behind me as I took the photo.. many thanks...Cornelius   ..
  • Are you doing the 'grid' when transferring the image onto canvas? If done from life measure, measure, and measure some more. Also, the strokes could be a bit 'looser'. Take a look at ballerina paintings by Degas. I would recommend doing a entirely new painting now that you're 'warmed up' (Don't paint over this one.). The colors are pretty but maybe not so much red as it takes away from the focus of the painting (the girl). I think you are off to a great start. Keep going!
  • Melissa said:
    Are you doing the 'grid' when transferring the image onto canvas? If done from life measure, measure, and measure some more. Also, the strokes could be a bit 'looser'. Take a look at ballerina paintings by Degas. I would recommend doing a entirely new painting now that you're 'warmed up' (Don't paint over this one.). The colors are pretty but maybe not so much red as it takes away from the focus of the painting (the girl). I think you are off to a great start. Keep going!
    Thanks Melissa , I used a proportional divider, I saw this photo and it inspired me to paint it, the red is intense in the photograph, if you could only see the painting in the flesh you would see the photograph loses some quality when posted, the comments I got helped me to change some of the painting pointed out to me, that's what this forum is excellent for.. many thanks   Cornelius....