Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How would you approach this?

So I just got permission to paint this AWESOME image... this is just a crop of it. I am going over in my brain how to execute this best to get that luminous quality. 
1-Would you paint the whole thing, let it dry and add the droplets?
2-Paint as you go inch by inch (kinda like @tassieguy and his complex tree paintings- i'm not sure I have the patience for that! but if thats what it takes.. ) 
3-some other method
hmm... Not sure, but Im excited for this one! Im leaning towards option 1 .

Bancroft414DiannaSummer

Comments

• JessicaArt

Yep. Background first. Toothbrush splatter next then everything else.

Denis

JessicaArtKodiakwoodMichaelD

• For luminosity, there is nothing that beats arsenic.  I feel so bad that I cannot get this degree of intensity to contrast light with dark which this chemical provides.  The Victorians in England used it in their magnificent green wall papers.  I saw samples of it used to produce calendars in printing processes in the US in the 70s.  Fortunately its use is banned now because it caused countless deaths to men, women, children, and animals especially in Victorian England.  But just for the record, it irks me that I cannot obtain a product that I know will give me the result I want.  Hmm.  I'm sure you will find something.  Even so, there might be strict cautions of use even in today's products.  I'm thinking especially those used for arts and crafts.

Summer

JessicaArtPaulB
  • PaulB said:
    I painted splatter dots on the leaf painting last of all, using the handle end of a brush dipped in paint.  It eans painting every single dot, but it was a fairly rapid tap-tap-tap-tap then a dip in the paint and repeat.  I found I could not make a circular mark with the brush tip.

It can make your toothbrush taste odd for months.  :)
    Were your dots all the same size?
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Were your dots all the same size?
    Good question.  They were not, although you'd think they would be.  It depended on how how much paint was on the tip of the handle.  Here is a sample section:

I was simulating previous paint splashes from sloppily-primed panels.
  • I have used a worn out stencil brush and shaving brushes to get this effect sometimes you have to blot the loaded brush one or two times on a paper towel so at not to get too much paint at a time. Marks method will work too but I used the paint brush handle. Another thing I did was to spread my color very thin on the palette with a knife  so as not to get too much paint. The flicking of paint off the bristles of a tooth brush gives irregular gobs, dots and dashes of paint and is hard to control. You need a practiced hand for sure. For this horse bath I think I would take everything a shade or two darker except the horse and the water to make the stream and droplets more luminous. This is s beautiful scene; must be sunrise or sunset. I might eliminate that truck and economize on the droplets that obscure the dark horse. With my fire fighting experience, I'd probably be good at wetting down those horses, Got any elephants?
    JessicaArt
  • Yeah I plan on taking out that trailer and maybe even the barn on the left. So I guess the consensus is paint & dry then add the drops. Nice advice about making the back darker. Thanks!
  • edited March 8
    Another suggestion- you could paint the furthest dots wet in wet ( will meld in a bit and help with creating distance) and as you got to the brighter higher chroma central mas of dots nearer the head you could put in after the underpaint is dry. You could also go in and paint a few of the outer dots once the paint is dry a bit brighter to give the feeling of the spray existing in 3 dimensional space.
    Decisions, decisions @JessicaArt ; =)
    PaulBJessicaArtBOB73Dianna
  • edited March 13
    Agree about getting rid of the trailer, @JessicaArt. It's a wonderful photo. And, yes, I agree - let it dry then do the dots.  If I were painting this I would have to beware of making the dots all the same size and shape - there's a lot of directionality in them that would have to be captured by varying their shape. :)
    JessicaArt
  • @Boudicca Brilliant idea. Luminous even.  Plus doing some drops wet in wet will take the edge off the frustration of waiting for it to dry before the main event. Also gives Jessica a chance to experiment.
    JessicaArt
  • @JessicaArt ;  Absolutely divine image - love it so much - I used to use splatter on water color paintings. I think you would need to practice quite a bit to get the right effect - it's not as easy as you think because of the directionality and also the amount of paint that gets splattered at one time needs to be fairly uniform and that's difficult all in itself. It's very easy for a big blob to happen.  Love it though.  Can't wait to see it. 
    BOB73
  • edited March 10
    If I didn't know any better I would have though that you are all talking a load of Jackson Pollocks

:) 

BoudiccaJessicaArtSummerDianna
  • Seeing the wonderful way you have handled light in your other paintings @JessicaArt, I bet this is going to be fantastic 

JessicaArt
  • I've been thinking about the possibility of using gold leaf for the droplets? How cool would that be? Probably close to impossible...for all those tiny dots but man that would be cool!
  • SummerSummer -
    edited March 11
    I've been thinking about the possibility of using gold leaf for the droplets? How cool would that be? Probably close to impossible...for all those tiny dots but man that would be cool!
    I've been wanting to try this as well.  Too many other things just get in the way.  I believe this is just what we need to take our art to a new level.  :)

Summer
  • You can get gold oil paints as well :)
    JessicaArt
  • I've been thinking about the possibility of using gold leaf for the droplets? How cool would that be? Probably close to impossible...for all those tiny dots but man that would be cool!
    I’ve used gold leaf and painted acrylic glaze over the metal. I think you dry your oil paint thoroughly then daub the gold leaf adhesive in various sized spots only where you want the metal to stick. Let it tack up, then apply gl and rub it smooth and shines. I think it’s a great approach to this piece. I’d advise some practice studies first. Go for it!
    SummerForgivenessJessicaArtBancroft414
  • edited March 11
    I have worked with gold leaf as well, and you can spatter your adhesive over your dried oil painting with a toothbrush or hard bristle brush. I encourage to practise the technique on the side until under your control. You may have to wipe your surface clean several times using cotton balls to remove the excess gold leaf with a clean ball at every wipe. Your entire finished painting with gold leaf will look better after the varnishing. I prefer the look of gold leaf after varnishing, such a remarkable difference. Remember the slightest movement in the air around you will affect you on every leaf that you handle. Never handle it with bare fingers, I use tweezers.
     I got my beginner instructions from SignCraft Magazine 1993 March/April issue.

JessicaArtBancroft414
  • Re gold leaf- make sure you use the adhesive that is for use on an oil based ground.
    JessicaArt
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited March 13
    I'm just guessing gold leaf would tax your patience to the extreme. Might be better to go to another state or country with your work by yourself to keep the family safe.