I painted ground cover, which was all green and nothing but leaves, all organic and no straight lines. That was an exercise to teach myself how to mix paint. This is an exercise that addresses two other weaknesses - straight lines and proper values. I took a photograph in a corner of my basement, and it's a combination of dark, dingy corners and tools. Everything is covered in sawdust, the lights are flourescent and weak, and every color is muted. Perfect!
I have learned that I love nothing more than to get lost in all the little details. I even painted a bar code and some wood grain here. This obviously must stop, and I need to paint more loosely and achieve a different effect. But not yet.
One big problem that I didn't notice until too late is that the perspective of my photo is dreadful. It's taken with a phone lens, pointing at a corner, too close, looking downwards, with nothing but straight lines and crooked placement. Then I made mistakes in the drawing, but I'm addressing those as I go.
This is day 4. I work slowly. The only part I'm happy with so far is the plastic bag. Wood panel, 9" x 12".
I think I have time to finish this in the next two weeks and get started on the portrait challenge, which I expect will torment me all summer right up until the deadline.